Laptop HDD to USB ---HDD failure sounds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gothch1ck

Daemon Poster
Ok so I had an old 60GB laptop harddrive that I bought a kit for to convert to a USB 2.0 external - thing is when I leave it plugged in (at least that's when I notice it , after it's had power for a few hours) it starts ticking like a timebomb/clock...

I know of the "Tick of Death" for drives - just wanted to know- could it be anything ELSE or is this drive doomed?

It is very loud (thin case doesn't help much either) and very repetitious- about 1/second constant right now (will be unplugging to sleep)

If I listen closely I can hear the main "tick" then what kinda sounds like the old rotary phones when you dial, the little clickyclicky return noise.

Also is very hot for not having data transffered to it in a while....

If there's any data on it, back it up while you can. I'd say the drive is dying.

When I first noticed it I triple backed up my data - however ALL data has recently been lost to... uneasy circumstances, so it has nothing important on it right now... was attempting to put XP on it so I could boot from it when I wanted to do XP stuff.. but.. this stopped it.

Well you can always try running diagnostic programs on the drive. SeaGate has SeaTools, not sure what WD has but I'm sure they have something as well.

Sounds like it's on its way out to me. You can run a diagnostic tool if you want to be sure. Most manufacturers make one that works well with their drives and will boot from a floppy or a cd to run diagnostics.

Sounds like it's on its way out to me. You can run a diagnostic tool if you want to be sure. Most manufacturers make one that works well with their drives and will boot from a floppy or a cd to run diagnostics.

SeaTools can run from within Windows, or via a bootdisk; not sure about WD's tool as I haven't used it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom