RAM Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

dem0x7

Solid State Member
Hi,

I just had a quick question regarding RAM. I built my custom gaming PC a few months ago, everything is running perfect. I had some extra cash so I was thinking about adding a little more RAM.

I currently have 4GB CORSAIR DDR2 (Newegg.com - CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory)

1. Is it ok to have two different types of RAM in? In other words, if I go with another brand and put the new RAM in, will everything still work OK or is it recommended to buy the same RAM I bought in the first place?

2. Do you think it's needed to have 8GB of RAM, or is that way too much. I'm not sure how to tell if I'm pushing 4GB right now, I'm interested to see how much I really need.

If it's OK to use another type of RAM, is there any you would recommend for a great price?

Thanks!

You don't need 8gb of RAM unless you're running multiple VMs. So if you are upgrading from 4gb, I wouldn't bother.

No need for 8gb of RAm.

You can open Task Manager and go to the performance tab to see how much you are using.

I have vista ultimate x64 with all of the goodies turned on and on average I use around 1.25gb of my memory.

Using Home Premium x64 myself, using 1.75gb of RAM...I think that's cause I'm folding, haha.

Thanks guys, I'll check the performance tab when I get home ;)

Just so I know though for later, is it OK to have different types of RAM?

Yes but all ram will run at the speed of the slowest ram installed. If the speeds and timings are the same it makes no real difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom