Multiple sata HDD failures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wayfarer

Beta member
Quite a while ago I bought a 500gb SATA hdd to replace my old 200gb PATA one. After a couple of days it developed a few bad sectors then shortly after died. I replaced it, but the replace one died too.
I chaged my no-name PSU to a good one. I got another SATA drive. It lasted about a month and then died. Then the replaced one after 20 days of usage had developed bad sectors too, I noticed this a couple of hours ago.

I have tested my RAM and CPU multiple times with stress tests, I do have an UPS. Guys, please help, I cannot think of anything what can be wrong.

That certainly sounds odd.

What brand of SATA drives are you using? Maybe you just keep getting 'em from a bad batch.

I will second what yamikotai said, it is possible the supplier you are getting these drives from is sending out drives that was made by the same machines and there could be an error. But I would ALSO look at your SATA controller it self to see if there are computability issues with the drives firmware and the sata controllers firmware.

I will second what yamikotai said, it is possible the supplier you are getting these drives from is sending out drives that was made by the same machines and there could be an error. But I would ALSO look at your SATA controller it self to see if there are computability issues with the drives firmware and the sata controllers firmware.

Well, the hard drives were different and bought from different reitailers. Two were Seagate's 7200.11 500 gb, other was WD 500gb and the last one was Seagate 7200.12, again 500gb.

So if my SATA controller is bad, what should I do? Replace the motherboard?

Either replace the motherboard, or pick up a PCI or PCI Express SATA hard drive controller.

^but i think in the long run it would be better to have a properly working onboard controller. But If you do not care about that then might as well get the cheapest solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom