External Hard Drive won't power up

Status
Not open for further replies.
or post up any model numbers you can find on the case, and someone will tell you where the screws are, or how to take it apart (if you still can't find the screws).

I use my external drive for movies, and honestly if you're copying across a ton of stuff, or watching 1080p movies, you'll want more than just a usb connection.
eSATA is teh win. That, or get yourself an enclosure that supports firewire.

I've watched 1080p movies off of my USB external...works fine...

hmmm, maybe it was just a really crap drive I had then. When I was trying to watch a 1080p movie (i think it was hitman) there was lag. like, a lot. audio/visual not match etc.
I'll try it again tonight, or soon anyway.

I listen to music, run installers, watch standard def movies, and a few high def movies all from one of my drives, and it never has a problem. 500GB SeaGate in an IcyDock enclosure.

yeah, I know the drive I was running was one of those 'green power' drives. I'm thinking that def might be a contributor to the problem.

That all being said, I'd still get something better than just a usb external. I mean, you can put in whatever you want (except for green drives), but it'll be limited by the usb connection.

You really can tell the difference when you're using eSATA instead of usb. Depends what your budget is really, but if you can afford it I'd say go with the sata.

Got the enclosure open, took off the rubber feet and went from there. It's running nicely as an internal drive now.

E-Sata drives seem to be around the same price as usb ones though. I was looking at some of the Fantom e-sata ones.

But, if I get a new drive, I may just get a normal internal drive and an enclosure separately. That means I'd just get an e-sata enclosure right? Would those cost anymore than usb enclosures? And does anyone have any enclosures they recommend (think I heard a person mention some "icy" enclosure or something)?

I recently bought myself a bunch of drives, and a hdd docking station. The station only cost me $50AU, and that supported 2.5" and 3.5" drives, and had connectors for eSATA and usb connections.

It works fine, I can swap drives in and out in seconds, and they get connected at sata speeds.

edit: btw, for brands on docking stations, I've found Voyager is pretty good.

That sounds awesome. I would probably only start with one drive, but the station would give me option to add more drives in for a LOT of storage.

Do the drives interface together at all, or is the station pretty much just a suitcase with usb ports and esata ports? Either way, it sounds pretty cool. I think I'll look around newegg for some.

EDIT: If I'm not missing something, the reason for having these docking stations is because internal drives cost less than externals that have the same space. Otherwise, you'd be better off just getting a bunch of externals, right?

A docking station is just like an external case, except it's really easy to swap a drive in/out. So in effect it turns your hdds into massive flash drives. It'll only fit one drive at a time.

And internal drives are exactly the same as the drives used in the external enclosures. There same drive you buy with an external enclosure is also for sale just by itself.

The reason why you'd get a docking station is it would allow you to quickly access one drive, then swap it for another, etc. If you want more than one drive in at a time, you'll have to buy either another external case or another docking station.
If you really want to go the whole hog, getting a bunch of external cases would be better, because you'd be able to access all your drives at the same time, without having to change anything. However, that would be quite expensive...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom