Comment on my new build please

Status
Not open for further replies.
TV tune:

r u absolutely sure you need one??? How are you getting content?

over the air
cable/sat

Beware if your hoping to get HD. Up until a few months ago (ive stopped looking), there wasnt a single decent product that could reliably pass HD to the PC. Hauppauge is the only mfg I've had success with. Ive got an old (2 yrs) PVR250 - Decent card but for my purposes, a turner card is is obsolete. I'm now able to connect my cable box directly to my HTPC via a fire-wire. Quality is superior and Im able to capture unprotected HD content at 1080. THe PVR 250 would only support up to 480 (or maybe less) with an S-Video connection

Please don't double post, just hit the edit button.

I would get this PSU instead: Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

Saves you a few bucks...but if you plan on getting another 260 later, stick with the 750w.

Spend 5 more bucks and get a 16mb cache HDD: Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3320613AS 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

The WD version doesn't have free shipping, if you were wondering why I was recommending the Seagate instead. :p

Also, for 3 more dollars (that will probably be made up by the free shipping), grab this kit that has better timings: Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Please don't double post, just hit the edit button.

I would get this PSU instead: Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

Saves you a few bucks...but if you plan on getting another 260 later, stick with the 750w.

Spend 5 more bucks and get a 16mb cache HDD: Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3320613AS 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

The WD version doesn't have free shipping, if you were wondering why I was recommending the Seagate instead. :p

Also, for 3 more dollars (that will probably be made up by the free shipping), grab this kit that has better timings: Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Thanks, I updated my wishlist. You should see the items you mentioned there. Plus, it came out to be $7 cheaper :p

Another question, I have about $50-75 to spend. Ideally, I'd like to either get a new gaming mouse, TV tuner, sound card, LCD panel for the case, or something similar. Any suggestions?

Also, does anyone here see a HUGE difference with onboard audio and a dedicated sound card?

If it were me, I'd put that into a bigger hard drive for backing up DVDs, downloading music, storing your obscene material, ect.

Onboard audio is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom