Thors Hammer and Memory clearance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guttzu

In Runtime
So I am getting close to building my i7 rig and was heavily looking at the Xigmatek Thor's Hammer Heatsink. It looks like it is amazing and was built to fit the i7 chip. The only problem I see is that in some reviews it showed the fan on the HS next to the RAM hitting the stick (with high heatsinks) in the slot nearest the cpu... does anyone have experience with this or have any advice?

THORS Hammer: Newegg.com - Xigmatek THOR'S HAMMER HDT-S126384 CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

RAM suggested to me: Newegg.com - G.SKILL Trident 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Also I am looking at this case... Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER ATCS 840 RC-840-KKN1-GP Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases... Will the Thor's Hammer fit in that case with 2 fans (push/pull) on it? I don't plan on building this thing until July but I want to stay up to date with the best things possible because by then I will have over $2,500 to spend on it...

One last question is does anyone have an opinion on the new Corsair PSU...Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-850HX 850W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

Best piece of news is that I convinced my Mom and Grandpa that I am able to build a computer... I forced my Mom to watch me look up the given guides and she said, "well just be carefull!" I told her the guys on these forums are pros and there is nothing to worry about :)

If you have that much money to spend, you may as well get a water cooling loop. But only if you're planning on overclocking.

That new Corsair seems pretty good, and it is modular, so that is pretty awesome.

As for the case, there are better cases out there for the money...you could always get a Cosmos.

You don't really need DDR3 2000, you can save a bunch of money and get DDR3 1600, but it's up to you.

I plan to Overclock a little bit but in the future if I am going to go crazy then I will go with liquid cooling. You think the Cosmos is a better case than the ATCS 840?

Heck I might as well go with a Lian-Li... For now I am just trying to keep up on the latest products but by July I am greatly assuming there are going to be a lot of new things out on the market...

Doesn't hurt to have an idea of what I want lol :) Money isn't going to be that huge of a deal when I build as long as I stay below $3,000... Maybe by then SSDs will be less expensive!

You'll only need the DDR3 2000 if your going to try to beat me in the SuperPi thread :D
It will give you some needed headroom when your pushing your overclock for that last Mhz, but other than that you'll probably never need it.

I've been interested in how the Xigmatek Thor's Hammer actually performs, it does look like a Contender. But if I wasn't going to buy a Thermalright True 120 I would pick one of these up.
Prolimatech Megahalem for Intel Socket 775 /1366 Products Model: MEGAHALEM [MEGAHALEM] : Performance-PCs.com, ... sleeve it and they will come

If you have the cash you can't go wrong with the Lian-Li :D

$2500 is more than you need to spend in my opinion, ESPECIALLY if you've convinced your grandparents to help you pay for it. :p

You can build a rather amazing gaming rig for under $1000

$2500 is more than you need to spend in my opinion, ESPECIALLY if you've convinced your grandparents to help you pay for it. :p

You can build a rather amazing gaming rig for under $1000

It's actually a combined graduation gift (just graduated from college) between my Mom and Grandpa... I have had the same laptop for 4 years now so I convinced them to help me build a computer... My Mom put up $1,000 and so did my Grandpa so with my new job I can cover the other $500 or so easy..

I guess the best thing to do would be to just wait until I actually plan to order all the parts in July to ask for a complete list of what parts you guys recommend... I will keep doing research and looking at stuff on NewEgg until then...

At a certain point you hit a wall of diminishing returns where you are paying alot for very little difference. The i7s have put this wall higher, but its still very much there.

2500 is alot, with this you can get SLI, watercooled i7 and a nice case etc easily. So when the time comes we will have no problem helping you out there. But for now just stay up to date like you said.

If your going to spend that much and i would suggest look at getting a nice, big screen. It will last longer and be more worthwhile than a slightly faster GPU or a few more Mhz, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom