6800 or X800

Status
Not open for further replies.
Previously you said that the x800 performed better than the 6800 on Doom3 - but the opposite is true. but as you said before, just because it performes better on Doom 3, doesn't make it better in other game - now that is true

well from that comment..

just asking for the need to know, whats the best all round video card. i would of gone with Nvidia anyways as i always have have. but whats your opinion mon the best card

Voxx.013 said:
well from that comment..

just asking for the need to know, whats the best all round video card. i would of gone with Nvidia anyways as i always have have. but whats your opinion mon the best card

If you're comparing the 9800 series with the GeForce FX, ATI is the best all around. It gets confusing when you start comparing the 6800s and X800s. If you are talking about the X800XT P.E., it is pretty much in dead heat with the Ultra and beats the 6800GT. The X800 Pro however can't even compete with the similar priced 6800GT, although it does beat the 9800XT.

The X800 XT PE is very close to performing with the 6800 Ultra.

If the 6800 Ultra drew everything that it was supposed to, then the X800 XT PE would cut it up. But I am not going to get into that... again... :p

ag3 said:
The X800 XT PE is very close to performing with the 6800 Ultra.

If the 6800 Ultra drew everything that it was supposed to, then the X800 XT PE would cut it up. But I am not going to get into that... again... :p

True, the Nvidia 6800 Ultra has a "don't render black things" optimization, which really helps it in dark games such as Doom 3. I am impressed by the benchmarks of the X800XT P.E., and really its all personal preference when choosing between it and the 6800 Ultra. The P.E. does carry quite a hefty price tag though (which is why I didn't get it).

You really can't go wrong either way unless you want that extra 1 fps that the 6800 ultra did better than the x800xt pe in doom 3 which you wont notice. Both cards are so advanced and close it's just a matter of what you like. If you want something that looks like a hauss and takes up two slots and two power connectors so you can look in your case and be like DAYUM then go for the 6800, but if you don't have the room or power and like ati cards then go for the x800.

i know that the "6800 ultra" was made for doom 3 and that the X800 beat it

Yeah you got that backwards, 6800 owned the ATI card in those trials. The 6800GT is your best bet...like beedub said, an eVGA brand 6800GT card.....like he also said...they put the same heavy duty heatsinks on ALL their cards I believe...even the 128mb so you are assured good cooling...technically better than stock if you think that the heatsink used for the ultra is also being used on their GT. it's mainly ATI fans who will route for ATI (waiting for ag3 to appear) but in all truth, Nvidia has taken the cake with their new card. And the soon to be released 6600 series (mainstrem model of 6800) will also outperform the ATI Equivelant. I think they just rushed their card out too quick to try and compete, but I think in the next gen cards, the:

eVGA 6800GT 256mb Card is your best bet.

www.evga.com for more information, don't buy through the site though cause you can get a better price at zipzoomfly.com obviously. Maybe the top top top of the line X800's do aright, but for the most part I think their new cards are somewhat buggy and won't perform as good or as stable as the 6800. I still would have to agree on just overclocking the GT to Ultra speeds because the Ultra is a monster and will probably get pretty hot, not to mention they recommend ATLEAST a 480w power supply and thats assuming it's a good brand. So you'd probably want a 560w you can get one from thermaltake for $100

EDIT:
If the 6800 Ultra drew everything that it was supposed to, then the X800 XT PE would cut it up

Can't help it that ATI wasn't smart enough to think of the 'dont render black' option :p Makes a lot of sense really and seems to really help too

Can't help it that ATI wasn't smart enough to think of the 'dont render black' option Makes a lot of sense really and seems to really help too

This means we will have to wait till a much brigher game using the Doom 3 engine appears before we see what card really wins, because the X800XT PE, although was beat by Nvidia, didn't do too bad in Doom 3. There is pretty much no hope for the X800 Pro however because of their decision to cut it to 12 pipes, which really decreases Doom 3 engine performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom