Building new computer, some questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaskTool

In Runtime
So I recently started obtaining parts that I need for my new computer, i'm not a professional, and my brother is helping me in part.

So far I bought the Intel DG31PR Socket LGA775 Motherboard at Compusa. And 2, 1gb sticks of DDR2 ram, I do not know what brand.

I also have a 450 watt power supply that is in a box.

For the optical drive I plan on taking one from one of my older computers, since those seem to be just fine.

But, for the hard drive I was wondering if I would be able to use one off of an extremely old computer, or perhaps a semi old one. Only 40gb, and I think that it would make the rest of my computer look pathetic. My brother might give me a 100 something gb HD, but I am not counting on it.

Either tomorrow or soon, I will buy the Intel Core 2 Duo E8400, 3.0Ghz, from Compusa, OR online, like some folks here instructed me.

Sorry guys I had the money and I went to Compusa with the family, so I couldn't help myself. I'm wondering if the Intel DG31PR was a good choice for a motherboard.

For the case, I will get that soon enough.

I really just want a fast computer that can play left 4 dead at decent speeds, I have an eVGA Geforce 6200, 256mb, PCI Graphics Card, but I doubt it can handle modern games.
I have however seen it handle left 4 dead at really good framerates, but with some lighting problems. I will upgrade the graphics card later on, the motherboard DOES include a pci express x16 slot, I made sure it did.

Any ideas of what I should do?

What brand is the power supply you have?

You can use an older hard drive, as long as it is either IDE or SATA.

The E8400 is a great chip, no problems there.

That mobo you got isn't really that great, to be honest. It's a pretty low performance board, so I wouldn't expect anything special from it. When I was trying to Google exact specs of it, I could only find an mATX board with two regular PCI slots. Are you sure yours has PCI-e? If it were me, I would return that board and pick up a different cheap one. I dunno what you paid for that, but you can find some P45 boards for around $100 that are excellent. Such as the Gigabyte UD3's, and Asus P5Q's.

The GeForce 6200 is absolutely not going to handle modern games. I'd recommend you upgrade to a ATi 4830 or a nVidia GTX250 at the very least.

What brand is the power supply you have?

You can use an older hard drive, as long as it is either IDE or SATA.

The E8400 is a great chip, no problems there.

That mobo you got isn't really that great, to be honest. It's a pretty low performance board, so I wouldn't expect anything special from it. When I was trying to Google exact specs of it, I could only find an mATX board with two regular PCI slots. Are you sure yours has PCI-e? If it were me, I would return that board and pick up a different cheap one. I dunno what you paid for that, but you can find some P45 boards for around $100 that are excellent. Such as the Gigabyte UD3's, and Asus P5Q's.

The GeForce 6200 is absolutely not going to handle modern games. I'd recommend you upgrade to a ATi 4830 or a nVidia GTX250 at the very least.

Yeah I don't think the motherboard is great at all either, except it was cheap, only cost me 70 dollars. And yeah it does have a pci-E x16 slot, only 1, it is micro ATX. which is good to know because I found a micro ATX case designed for the boards at compusa for about 40 dollars. About the power supply, I don't know what brand it is, its just 450 Watts, and thats all I know, my brother was the one to buy it.

About my GeForce 6200, yeah I know. But if it can handle at least left 4 dead for now, I'm fine with it. I will definitely upgrade to probably a GTX250 or whatever, if I get the cash.

Edit: Guys I misspelled the name of the motherboard, it is not G31PR. but DG31PR, sorry for the typo. Classic Series.

I'd have to agree and sorry to report that your mobo prob isnt gonna do you any favors in performance. Id return if you can. Even for $70 it's overpriced compared to what you can get for $85 to $100. Try looking at boards the run the P45 chipset.

really you just need a decent video card, a 4770 or 4830 would be fine and i guess if your not overclocking the intel board will suffice. but return if u you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom