USB 2.0 Extenders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gothch1ck

Daemon Poster
OK so I figure.. why use a hub that doesn't have enough room to put 2 USB thumb drives side by side - when I could just get some cables to extend the USB 2.0 ports from the back of my case, up through my desk.. and then in strategic spots (held in place by tape/track) so I could plug in my devices as I needed....

This would also allow me to make a multi USB 2.0 "Dock" to keep things organized....

So the question really is... would the cheap Rosewill 1.99 for 6ft of cable Male to Female be enough or should I go crazy and get gold plated?

(I want to know if there will really be any much of a difference in transfer rates, some of my USB devices require as quick-as-possible settings)

I have extension cables, very handy. but some of my devices, namely my x45's don't like being connected via an ext cable, they only seem to work when I give them direct plugin to their own channel. My logitec gamepad works fine, maybe its a power thing. Don't know.

Make sure the cable is thick enough on the extension cable. I've seen (and tried to use) some extensions that wouldn't even work with a flash drive, most likely because there wasn't enough current able to flow through the cable.

I have had SOME luck with a 25foot extension cable, just make sure something the requires a lotta power doesn't get connected, ended up using a powered hub at the end.

And depending on the shielding, and device there will most likely be a hit to transfer rates, maybe not enough to really notice.

That's what I always did with my thumb drive. I had a 3ft extension cable that sat on my desk so I didn't have to paw around in the back every time I wanted to use it.

Though my Antec 300 has front USB so, I don't have to do that anymore.

well I have so many ports in the back, it seems wasteful to buy a HUB to power my devices when I have like 4 USB 2.0's not being used in the back (along with some other connections I don't own anything that plugs into them yet) Since a hub just gives me more ports of the same type... seemed kinda.. silly to do, extenders seemed better, and then I could work with some plastic and make my own Dock so I could plug in my oddly-shaped and sized USB thumb drives as I needed - but keep all the cords together and neatly arranged.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom