*The Official Tech-Forums Super Pi 1M Rankings*

Re: Tech Forums Official SuperPi 1M Top List

So , Intel influenced the people who created the superpi program to lean heavily toward Intel?
Well , we need to find other benching programs that compare them more fairly. What else is out there?

As far as using AMD Fusion , I installed it and it's for AMD processors only :p

So , Intel influenced the people who created the superpi program to lean heavily toward Intel?
Well , we need to find other benching programs that compare them more fairly. What else is out there?

As far as using AMD Fusion , I installed it and it's for AMD processors only :p

3dmark 06 cpu scores are fair game

and i was not aware that fusion only worked for amd ;( sorry bout that one.

No...Intel chips are just better at that particular benchmark, and they are a bit faster overall anyway.

Intel simply has the better cpu at the moment. That was easy to explain :D

SuperPi tweaks? Run the benchie using Windows XP to start with. Turn-off all the active services that are not needed for the system to run. Use the lowest ram latencies you can. Boost your clock speed beyond all others :D

And I do all of this with Air Cooling :D

Took you long enough Slaymate.

forgot the location of your backup scores? :)

I wasn't paying attention :D

Intel simply has the better cpu at the moment. That was easy to explain :D

Well actually, it's not that simple. It has to do with the set of instructions. Intel just happens to be better at crunching this benchmark than AMD. :p

Intel is also better at crunching almost every other benchmark, with it's set of instructions.

almost every other benchmark would be exaggerating.

Also, it's not really correct to say it's due to the set of instructions. They both process the same instructions (x86 with extensions added on, or AMD64). They just have different methods of doing it (but get the same logical output).
The performance varies depending on the type of processing, and how the methods used in each CPU work with the programs. There are a lot of different circumstances.

I think there's already a thread with a discussion going on about which cpu is the best. I've refrained from posting my opinion in that thread because I really didn't want to argue about the subject. Intel and AMD both have there good points.

Personally, I feel there are only 2 categories worth considering in cpu's. Price per Performance and Price per High Performance. Of the 2, I only care about the High Performance. Which brings me back to my 1st statement which I will modify slightly. Intel simply has the better cpu at the moment, in my humble opinion.

Now let's get back to SuperPi :D

No, Super PI is not a benchmarking program per-se, it uses an algorithm developed scientifically to calculate PI to a large number of digits (nothing to do with benchmarking or with chip manufacturers, just boring mathematicians). OK super PI it self is for benchmarking but its not a fabricated benchmark, running a genuine math algorithm is a real world (real scientific world) application.
Why do intel chips do better? simple answer: because intel chips are better... at this sort of number crunching. Obvious conclusion is that your average mathematician should buy an intel computer for running math algorithms. Obvious second conclusion is that that in itself probably doesn't mean a lot to your average user.

Edit: although across the spectrum of number crunching type tasks e.g. encoding or excel you will find that intel chips generally do better. They just seem better at number crunching.

Intel simply has the better cpu at the moment, in my humble opinion.

Now let's get back to SuperPi :D

Every Intel cpu is not better than every AMD cpu.

And in terms of price/performance, when the new denebs launched they outperformed or matched intel chips in the same price range. Super Pi is not an accurate measure of performance between chips from different manufacturers.

Back
Top Bottom