Computer won't post, no windows screen just all black.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MADWAD

In Runtime
Ok any help would be appreciated on this. I recently (5 months ago) built my third computer, and until recently had no problems. I was playing fallout 3 and my computer locks up and I have to manually turn it off (ctrl-alt-del does nothing).

I try and turn it on again and all I get is a black screen, no windows screen at all(fans and dvd drive still spins). The next day I turn on my computer again and it actually comes on, I check out a few websites and go upstairs to get some coffee. When I return the screen is black and does not respond to anything. From this point on all I get is a black screen (fans and dvd drive still spins) when I try to turn on my pc.

The computer is very new so i'm almost positive it's not my processor, I thought it may be my video card but i've ruled that out (it worked in another computer). I tried resetting my motherboard bios and a just got a popping noise when I turn it back on.

I bought a psu tester the other day and it indicates over voltage from my psu, which in turn makes me think that my power supply fried my mobo.

I really hope i'm wrong, any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

When these things happen it's natural to think the motherboard, CPU or PSU is stuffed, however, that's seldom the case. It is very possible it is not the motherboard as I have a similar problem with my PCs. I built 2 around 5 years ago and suddenly no post, blank screen on the one I use for the net. I stuffed around with it for a couple of days before finally removing the AGP card, it then booted into XP no problem. Thinking something had gone wrong with the AGP, I removed the AGP from the other machine and installed it, no post, blank screen. I have no explanation why this has happened, that said, you can bet the AGP cards are not the problem .... think twice before buying another board.

Solved my AGP problem by re-installing the OS, no problems now .... AGP is installed. Should have thought of that before almost having myself committed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom