BOOTMGR is missing, unable to repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beedy555

Solid State Member
Hey,

i'm having trouble trying to repair my copy of windows vista. my hardrive is new and everytime i boot from the vista CD (with the HD connected) it goes to:

i tried installing a fresh copy of windows of my machine and recieved an error, so it says:

BOOTMGR IS MISSING
press CTRL-ALT-DEL to restart

the problem is i can't do this as, i cannot input from the keyboard so it freezes.

When i disconnect my hardrive (Sata II) and boot from the CD everything is fine & i can run the repair process, except my hardrive is not recognised.. so i can't :(

i bought my HD yesterday, and it is recognised in BIOS so i'm not sure how to get around this problem to boot from the CD with the HD being recognised.

any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

thanks, Matt.

yeah i changed the Boot order settings, to boot from the DVD drive first then hardrive. i also disabled to hardrive in BIOS.

That's odd then, because it just sounds like it's not booting to the CD first. Generally, that error is when there's no OS on the HDD and it's trying to boot from it.

So without the HDD, it actually boots the windows disk, which would make sense cause it would go through all the boot options. Just double check to make sure it saved in the BIOS...you don't have to disable booting to the HDD, either.

the DVD drive is definetely the first priority, followed by the HDD which i bought yesterday. the DVD drive makes a noise as if to start spinning which is followed by:

VERIFYING DMI pool data..........

Press any key to boot fro, CD or DVD..............

BOOTMGR is missing
pres ctrl+alt+del to restart
_

maybe i should try a different drive. or it could be the CD?

thanks, Matt.

Did you hit a key to boot from the DVD..? It's reading the DVD just fine from the looks of it.

i did yeah, but the keyboard fails at this point and everything hangs on the screen. with the message

VERIFYING DMI pool data..........

Press any key to boot fro, CD or DVD..............

BOOTMGR is missing
pres ctrl+alt+del to restart
_

If you have a PS2 keyboard laying around, try that out...don't know why the USB keyboard isn't working, but you should exhaust your options either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom