dirt cheap build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering he never mentioned gaming the G31 is every bit as suitable as a 760g. The upgrade potential of the am2+/am3 is canceled out by the fact that the psu wouldn't be able to handle a Phenom II. However the G31 supports Core 2 quads and the Silverstone 350w should actually be able to run one.

Silverstone makes great psu's, the same cannot be said for Aspire/Apevia.

The ram you recommended is no better than what I posted.

The quality of the case is debatable, Raidmax isn't exactly lian li or anything

Never said Silverstone makes crappy PSU's.

And how do you figure that Apevia wouldn't run an x3 720? I'm using a crappy Logisys 480w with two HDDs, two opticals, 5x fans and my x3 720, and it runs fine.

If the PSU I recommended wouldn't run a PII, neither would yours.

OCZ is a much better brand than Wintec, and that's just common knowledge, even if it's just a "value" product. And while Raidmax isn't Lianli, I do know that we've had less problems with Raidmax cases than Rosewill cases. Both of them are cheap, and about the same cost.

Never said Silverstone makes crappy PSU's.

And how do you figure that Apevia wouldn't run an x3 720? I'm using a crappy Logisys 480w with two HDDs, two opticals, 5x fans and my x3 720, and it runs fine.

If the PSU I recommended wouldn't run a PII, neither would yours.

Wintec isn't that bad of a brand, just ask anyone who has used their Ampx models. If the op would rather have OCZ I completely understand, that's why we offer more than one recommendation after all.

Buying a good psu upfront is cheaper than getting a cheap psu and then having to buy a better psu later when you want to upgrade. Besides if the cheap psu does fail it could take other hardware with it.

There is a big difference in the loads a Silverstone and a APEVIA will handle and the psu I posted does have more amps on the 12v rails. This video is a good example of how quality affects the loads a psu can handle.

Welcome to Corsair :: Corsair Cinema

Considering your PSU costs 25 more dollars, I would hope it's better. Doesn't mean the PSU I recommended wouldn't work. Just because you wouldn't use it doesn't mean it isn't usable.

Considering this build will most likely not have to be upgraded for some time, seeing as it's just a general use build and a 7750 will be more than enough for a while, it really doesn't matter to spend more money on a PSU. So why not get the most out of his 260 bucks performance wise, since it's already way over budget? That way, he won't have to upgrade sooner, if it was needed at all.

The Corsair Video I added to my previos post does a good job of explaining why I think spending more on a quality psu matters.

I would never consider using a cheap psu in a system of mine or a system I was building for someone else so I can't honestly recommend them to other people.

OK while this is all fine and dandy, lets wait for the op to comment. $260 may not even work for them which means we have been having this invigorating discussion for no reason.

the op has two nice build to look at and consider.

To everyone who have suggested, thanks. $220-$250 is pushing it for me, but I do like Hikaricloud's build. I've used a couple Aprevia PSUs in previous machines and none has failed me..yet. Puddle Jumper, I also like your build. I kind of wanted to get my hands on the Celeron Allendales when they first came out. Thanks a lot guys, your inputs give me some ideas on my build

To everyone who have suggested, thanks. $220-$250 is pushing it for me, but I do like Hikaricloud's build. I've used a couple Aprevia PSUs in previous machines and none has failed me..yet. Puddle Jumper, I also like your build. I kind of wanted to get my hands on the Celeron Allendales when they first came out. Thanks a lot guys, your inputs give me some ideas on my build

If you tell us what, if any, parts can be recycled from a different build, ie hard drive, case, psu, cd drive, ect, we might can spec out better systems for the money.

I'm basically building this rig from scratch. I have an ancient micro atx HP case, but that's about it. I can get a copy of an OS from a friend and I have a monitor, mouse, keyboard and speakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom