Keyboard not recognised

Status
Not open for further replies.

syb-pi

Solid State Member

I love YaPP!

Keyboard not recognised
« on: Today at 03:13:10am »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Trying to set up ASUS A7V computer with 750 Duron CPU, 9 gig Maxtor HD and at first could get into BIOS where defaults were set. Trend Chipaway virus reported a boot virus and, whilst the hd is recognised, it will not read CD or floppy drives. Now it says that there is an improper CPU setting and keyboard is not present. Tried another keyboard but same result. All connections are OK, i.e. cd and floppy lights come on and don't stay on. The first screen reports CMOS checksum error with defaults loaded.
Now I can't get into BIOS, cd or floppy.

This has me beaten - don't know what else to try. I have another hard drive but don't know whether I dare try it in case it is damaged.
Can someone help please.

Checksum error probably because BIOS was reset.
I'm going to try motherboard with just cpu, memory, video card and keyboard to see if that works.

Tried boot with hd, memory and graphics card only but still wont access drives. Now doesn't read hd and cannot get into BIOS - still no keyboard present.
I fear that the boot virus has destroyed the MBR. Cannot restore because no drives available.
Anyone any idea what to try next.

well, first, reset the Jumper on the Bios. THat will take it back to factory. That will/should allow you to get into it there. Then Disconnect the Hdd, and check to see if you can just boot to a cd/floppy. if that works, then attach the HDD and boot to a floppy or cd that has a format util.
If you do have aboot virus, you need to forget about restoring, and just clean it off. It's a sad event, but the options are limited. If you really need to get data off of it, you need to get a system that is completely protected and then obtain an external USB HDD carridge and connect it that way. Then you will be outside of the bootup phase so the drive should be secure. Don't access the drive though. Run a Virus scna against the drive and purge out the virus data using the installed virus scanner. That should get the drive as clean as possible. Then you can copy off the media that you need from the drive via the exterally attached connection.

Hope that helps.

Tried all that and hd not recognised until I changed it to another channel. Then got same message, i.e. no floppy, cd drives seen and no keyboard present.
I wonder if the BIOS is kaput. Tried yet another battery but it made no difference. If I could only get to A prompt I could do something but it will not boot to it.
I cannot even get information on BIOS but the screen does say Award Medallion BIOS v6.0
I have never come across a problem like this before and I must admit I am stumped.

You have reset the Bios settings?
Do you have a removable Bios chip?
If you really felt adventurous, you could go get another chip and take it to a shop and have the current Settings burned to it. (get your own ROM burner if you choose). Then replace the chip. If the problem is in the Bios, that will fix it.
ALso, you say the HDD works when on another channel? Have you checke the pins/cables to see if something is not right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom