4850 running hot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tenenbaum

In Runtime
How can I change the thermal paste on my 4850?
And how can I clean it all out the best way possible?

Its running 89C on 100% fan, which doesn't sound to good to me.

Any tips? Thanks.

Edit : 102C on load playing TF2

Easy.

Same as a processor. Take off the fan, use a cotton swap with isopropyl and clean off both sides, then put on a little more and put the fan back on.

Be careful.

Dan

Easy.

Same as a processor. Take off the fan, use a cotton swap with isopropyl and clean off both sides, then put on a little more and put the fan back on.

Be careful.

Dan

Actually it's slightly different than a CPU, but worth noting.

On a CPU you don't need to spread the paste, you just put a little blob in the middle and then attach the heatsink and it will be fine.

But on a GPU, since there is no heat spreader, you want to make sure the whole core has a thin layer of paste. You also want to make sure to use a paste that is non conductive here, in case you make a mess of it. Arctic Cooling MX-2 will work great.

Actually it's slightly different than a CPU, but worth noting.

On a CPU you don't need to spread the paste, you just put a little blob in the middle and then attach the heatsink and it will be fine.

But on a GPU, since there is no heat spreader, you want to make sure the whole core has a thin layer of paste. You also want to make sure to use a paste that is non conductive here, in case you make a mess of it. Arctic Cooling MX-2 will work great.

He speaks the truth. I spread on CPUs too, but the non-conductive part is important.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom