HD 3200 hybrid with HD 4670?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The old phenoms weren't the best overclockers. You can try though, what motherboard do you have?

Yes and No, but more no..

Yes, if you made this rig yourself or by a friend. If its made by Dell or something, you can still overclock the GPU

No, if you bought it from Dell or any other company (except IBuyPower or Cyberpower), no also because Phenom X4's don't have much headroom overclocking wise and finally also because your PSU will limit you a lot.

I also own TF2 and get a little lower FPS @ that exact resolution Maxed out, but I don't get stutters. And like like I said before, defragmenting your hard drive would probably fix the stutters; also I keep all my drivers up to date, especially the HD 3850's.

I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH, SO I'M USING CAPS: DEFRAGMENT YOUR HARD DRIVE AS MUCH POSSIBLE AND ALWAYS UPDATE YOUR GPU DRIVERS :D

Heh, well this is a fresh install os Vista (not sure if I'd still need to defrag) and I've got the drivers from 5/16/09 installed. I'm currently at work so I'll have to double check the motherboard when I'm at home.

I'm thinking about selling this rig and starting from scratch. Except I'll be keeping my 4670. I think I limited myself to much with the current PSU/CPU and the motherboard only has one PCIe 2.0 slot as well.

We could help you piece something together if you like. It's too bad you didn't want to do this last month, there were some awesome combo deals with the Phenom II processors.

That'd be cool if you could help me out.. Ideally I want to keep it pretty basic under $400 since I already have the GPU. I'd need the works.. Case, PSU, CPU, HD, mobo, Ram, CD-Rom (possibly I might have a spare) and cables if they dont come with the parts. I don't need an expensive case just something plain. And maybe 500+ watt PSU if possible.

I'd appreciate any help you guys can give!

Sorry for the double post earlier. ;) I feel like a newbie, heh.

For under 400 bucks, you're only going to get a dual core...you might want to throw a little more money into it.

I'll see what I can do.

EDIT: If you reuse some of the parts from your old machine, you can get a nice upgrade. What speed RAM do you have?

Also, if you have a motherboard that supports AM3, we may be able to pull this off.

The PC is a gateway.. :( here are the specs. for motherboard it doesnt give much information.

Motherboard: Systemboard with AMD® 780G Chipset (doesnt give a model)
Ram: 800MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM (2-2048MB modules)

Gateway Official Site: Shop - Desktops - DX4200 09 Product Details

The money for the majority of the upgrade would be coming from a sell of this PC. And forgot to mention I'd be keeping the monitor so that wouldn't be needed either.. Just wanted to add that.

EDIT: I can give you the motherboard details once I get back home and can look at it.

Alright, well. Without a video card, I got you a nice upgrade for just over 500 bucks.

Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz 3 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Black Processor - Processors - Desktops
Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TFORCE TA790GX 128M AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
Newegg.com - LG Black 22X (CAV) DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X (CAV) DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD±R DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners

Total comes to $510.51 after shipping, then you get 10 bucks back in an MIR.

This would be your best bet for the money. Even if the quad you have now isn't a great quad, it's still a quad. This triple core I have for you is generally a much better CPU, and I didn't want to stick you with a x2 7750 or an E5200 after having a quad.

I know it's over your budget, but it would be well worth it. If you really want to get the cost down, we could skimp on the mobo a bit, get a smaller HDD, etc. The one thing I wouldn't recommend going down to a 7750 though. This is definitely worth the extra scratch.

Lets go pretty cheap on the HD. Lets keep it SATA (Seagate or WD) but it doesnt have to be a large HD. The only reason I had the 640GB was because it was stock with the gateway build.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom