My i7 trials, with a lot of error.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Little update - since I put off for so long some things have changed, mainly:

1. The HAF 932 I was going to buy no longer has free shipping - this is going to kill my prices.
2. The XFX 4890 GPU I was going to buy no longer has free shipping - so +$8
3. I almost have enough money for both- Thur OR when my PayPal clears a transaction I can get both.

I really didn't want to have to pay $20+ in shipping for the case.. anyone know anywhere for cheaper? Newegg is where I was looking... but won't be buying until it has "free shipping" again -if anytime soon.

Well the new GPU is in, installed, and games run and all.. but.. I am still not satisfied... not that the PC is bad or anything it's just... eh.. I expected more?

I think I need to Optimize my system... I am sure there is somethings I don't know about that are making it not as performance perfect as I was hoping.

Seeing Fallout3 in Full 3D, full Textures, Full Render, Full Screen and HDR is nice though.. good so see what Nuka Cola Quantum looks like with it's glow on too lol.

My FPS isn't as great as I was expecting.. but then again I am playing on a much larger size resolution, from 1024x768 to 1900x1080 , so I am sure this and the Low to Ultra detail levels are what killed my expected constant 60+ FPS (Rarely I drop to 40- FPS for a few moments)

My temps: I was scared to get GPU first because of this old case and it's lack of High Air Flow capabilities... but... I am rather amazed at the results.

Before my CPU would idle at around 44C and full load at about 72C with the new GPU in (which is a 2 slot and vents out the back) it actually helped my Temps drop down. I idle around 41-42C now and max load is still 70-71C now, but the best news is = They didn't go UP.

I don't know how to set up my GPU temp stuff.... the instructions the GPU came with.. don't go into that detail, I kinda expected "Plug N Play" but.. yeah.. for some reason RealTemp won't read the GPU temps.

I haven't played a whole lot of games, just STEAM's "Killing Floor" and Bethesda's Fallout 3 (all DLC) the graphics improvements are highly noticed, especially in lighting/shadow, however the games don't run as glassy smooth as expected.. again probably due to increased Resolution size.. but I thought this could handle it....

OC may become an option... after Optimization of course.

HAWX is an ok game I guess.. but.. it really needs a Joystick.

I guess part of the expected graphics change were not on my PC side at all but the Game Engines' capabilities... and I never thought about it... I want to go into HL2:DM now to see if the "Odd Reflections" still happen to me, where everything (even cloth) seems glassy or metallic (downloading and installing)

If anyone has any Optimize Windows 7 RC ideas let me know here, I will be spending a few hours browsing the threads and net for any pre-made tutorials.

what speed are you running your ram at? is it at 1600?
You may want to set up xms in your bios.
It will automatically clock your cpu to around 133 bclk. A small jump from stock but it is a good setup to run your ram at 1600. It will also set your dram volts to 1.65 which will allow your ram to run at the specified 1600.
these small changes should not effect your temps much but you should see a bit of an improvement.

Not sure what my RAM is running at, I know it can go to 1600 and all, but I haven't touched it from stock settings....

Not sure what that XMS thing is - I am brand new to the whole "overclocking and tweaking" Pc thing, normally I just set my graphics low and my resolution as small as it would go to play games... it was funny getting a 486 machine to play Unreal Tournament, very plain textures (The pistol was straight blocks and green with no detail, muzzle flash was a bright square, and the surrounding world's textures were very basic in shape and colours)

run cpuz and you can see what your ram is set at. multiply it by 2.

xms is a preset overclocking profile in the asus bios.
It is designed to run your ram at 1600.
It will set the bclk at such for a nice multi to get your ram running at its rated speed.
It is a very small OC of your processor.

Try it out and check temps. there will be no change to your vcore so temps should be the same with faster ram.

I have:
Manual
Auto
D.O.C.P. (overclocks DRAM frequency by adjusting BCLK frequency)
and
X.M.P. (eXtreme Memory Profile - apparently my RAM doesn't support it when chosen an option is grayed out.)

Otherwise manually I can adjust all kinds of things- main 2 in particular having the option to select RAM speed and then under it another option to select frequency- with a note stating it must be at least 2x the speed ... should I just set that to 1600 and then 3200?

I am actually using the splashtop web option to change this, since I can jump to bios easily from here... very nice little addition they gave this board...(took me 10 seconds to get here and it takes about 5 seconds to get back to bios.. lol)

and reading up on my ram and such.. it's possible to go crazy O.Cing it I guess.. to even speeds beyond 1800 (not that I have OC sickness...just reading and sharing information... lolz)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom