eSATA PCMCIA

Status
Not open for further replies.

808Alaska

In Runtime
Ok im looking at adding a pcmcia eSATA card to my laptop so i can connect an external hard drive that i could possible boot from if i wanted to. however i wanted to know if using a PCMCIA slot on my laptop will slow down the actual speed of the SATA transfer rate of 1.5ghz or 3.0 ghz?
thanks in advance.

Sure it will. PCMCIA only has a transfer rate of 480MB/s. Which is way, way, way slower than what SATA can do.

that doesnt make sense because your saying that the pcmcia slot transfers at 480MB/s and the sata 3Gbit on runs at 360MB/s because theirs 8 bits in a bit right? correct me if im wrong.

No. SATA can do 1.5GB/s or 3.0GB/s transfer. hence why they are labeled as SATA 1.5 or SATA 3 since that is the speed they can transfer data at when connected to the appropriate connection.

PCMCIA can do about the same as USB 2.0 at times which is several times slower than what SATA can transfer at.

You used GHz in your first post when it should have been GB.

No. SATA can do 1.5GB/s or 3.0GB/s transfer. hence why they are labeled as SATA 1.5 or SATA 3 since that is the speed they can transfer data at when connected to the appropriate connection.

PCMCIA can do about the same as USB 2.0 at times which is several times slower than what SATA can transfer at.

You used GHz in your first post when it should have been GB.

oh yeah sorry about that but it clearly says on this website that its 1.5 Gbit/s which is not GB/s. sorry to make things complicated, i just want to make sure i know the right thing.

Serial ATA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Even if Wikiepedia is fully correct on this. The transfer rate is still way more for SATA than PCMCIA. Even according to their own site.

PC Card - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

in byte mode it is 33 MB/s, in Word mode it is 66 MB/s, and in DWord mode it is 132 MB/s.

Even in DWORD mode it still cant even reach the lowest speed of SATA.

Wikipedia did a great job making this confusing. I dont believe their use of GHz over GB. I dont think their real speeds are accurate either. Cause if you search around you will see many people who are getting rates higher than what they claim for SATA.

ok thanks mak, i just wanted to make sure i knew the right thing and ill just go with what your saying cuz i have heard of SATA transfers rate being really fast but most of the places i see them advertised say Gbit/s which throws me off, lol. but thanks for the help. i appreciate it.

Dont get me wrong, Wikipedia is a great source for info. But it is not the end all answer. As it is still edited by people constantly and can be wrong if the wrong person edited it last.

From all the times i have seen and worked with SATA Data Transfer rates they were always expressed in Gb/s never in GHz. Even teh research i did through Bing and google show that Wikipedia was off cause even sites like Tom's Hardware had information closer to what i was saying that what they said. I would trust Tom;s hardware over Wikipedia anyday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom