Can someone help me optimize my new system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

soarwitheagles

Lookin' for higher ground
Hi all!

I recently built a new system and I think it is running far below stock performance levels.

I am asking for help to optimize my system please.

Can someone here help me with the settings such as FSB, voltage, etc.?

Thanks!

Here is my new system:

Thermaltake M9 case
Q9550 Processor
Corsair XMS DDR2 800 8 GB
Thermaltake 600 W PSU
Windows Ultimate 64-bit
Gigabyte EP45-UD3P
Western Digital 640 GB 32 Cache
Sea Gate 1.5 TB SATA HD
Lian-Li Bezel Thermometer Gauge
ZeroTherm Zen FZ1205
Nvidia GeForce 8600GTS

I am a little concerned because I see settings in the Easy Tune 6 that seem way off:

FSB is showing 334MHz
BUS is showing 1336MHz
CPU is showing 2000 MHz
Multiplier is flucuating between 6 and 8.5

To be honest with you, I have no clue whatsoever is going on.

I have heard from some people that the Easy Tune 6 can be a bit weird at times.

Can someone help me to check/adjust the settings in the BIOS please?

Thanks,

Soar

Here are some screen shots that might be helpful:

Attachments

• Easy Tune CPU pic.JPG
    Easy Tune CPU pic.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 41
  • Easy Tune Tuner 1 pic.JPG
    Easy Tune Tuner 1 pic.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 40
  • Easy Tune Tuner 2 pic.JPG
    Easy Tune Tuner 2 pic.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 41
For a start, NEVER overclock your CPU using a program! They rarely work as well as intended; sometimes, in cases such as yours, they can be "a bit weird sometimes", and sometimes being a bit weird could mean it will up your voltage to a level which will fry the CPU.

It's much safer (and often produces better results) to overclock through the BIOS; which is something we can help you with.

For a start, NEVER overclock your CPU using a program! They rarely work as well as intended; sometimes, in cases such as yours, they can be "a bit weird sometimes", and sometimes being a bit weird could mean it will up your voltage to a level which will fry the CPU.

It's much safer (and often produces better results) to overclock through the BIOS; which is something we can help you with.

Yam,

Ok, thanks for your good advice. Can someone here help me with setting up my BIOS so my rig will run sweet?

Many people all over the world seem to think this Gigabyte EP45-UD3P is a great MB and can be easy to O'C. I am not too interested in O'Cing [I rarely do gaming]. I merely would like to optimize my system to work at optimal levels.

Soar

This is the thread in which I learnt to OC: Howto: Overclock C2Q (quads) And C2D (duals) - A Guide V1.7 - OverclockersClub Forums

There's a lot there, but if you follow it carefully you can get a great OC.

What CPU cooler do you have btw? It generally helps to have an aftermarket cooler as the stock heatsink tend to be lacking somewhat.

And, if you're not too interested in OCing then I warn you that getting a stable and good OC can take a lot of time - you might just be better off staying at stock (which tends to be blasphemy round these parts).

The reason why your CPU's Multiplier is fluctuating is because of Intel's speedstep. When your CPU isn't being used that much the CPU's multiplier is lowered to save energy. If you want to turn it off there should be an option in the BIOS.

This is the thread in which I learnt to OC: Howto: Overclock C2Q (quads) And C2D (duals) - A Guide V1.7 - OverclockersClub Forums

There's a lot there, but if you follow it carefully you can get a great OC.

What CPU cooler do you have btw? It generally helps to have an aftermarket cooler as the stock heatsink tend to be lacking somewhat.

And, if you're not too interested in OCing then I warn you that getting a stable and good OC can take a lot of time - you might just be better off staying at stock (which tends to be blasphemy round these parts).

Yam,

I am presently using a ZeroTherm Zen FZ1205 presently on this system. I also have an Arctic Freezer Pro 7 available. I just purchased a Sunbeam CR-CCTF 1200MM "Core Contact Freezer" yesterday and installed in on my other rig and it was a total disappointment. I was amazed because there were so many great reviews written about it.

Anyway, I think the ZeroTherm Zen FZ1205 after market CPU cooler/fans should suffice for my needs. This new system never goes above 40 degrees even when I played Crysis as an experiment. The temp normally hovers right about 32.

Ok, what do ya think?

Soar

The reason why your CPU's Multiplier is fluctuating is because of Intel's speedstep. When your CPU isn't being used that much the CPU's multiplier is lowered to save energy. If you want to turn it off there should be an option in the BIOS.

Thanks for the explanation on the Multiplier flucuation...I was wondering if something was wrong...now I know it is a special feature!

Soar

Seeings everyone seemed to like my short and sweet 30 second overclocking guide in a thread a while back, I'll quote it for you.

Turn the RAM speed down as low as you can, which will probably be 533MHz.

Slowly increase the FSB by 5 increments, boot to Windows each time to make sure it works. If at any time you can't boot to Windows or even POST, then you'll need to increase the VCore by the smallest increment, and then try again.

Rinse and repeat until you get your desired speed. Don't put the VCore over 1.475V.

Once you are at your desired speed, boot into Windows and run Orthos or Prime95 for around 8-10 hours. Make sure you monitor your temperatures periodically. If the load temps are above 55-60*C, you'll want to shut it down and decrease your overclock until you can get a better CPU cooler.

If you're 8-10 hours stable, you can turn your RAM back up. You didn't say what speed RAM you have so I'll assume DDR2 800. If its not awesome overclocking RAM, you'll want to keep it at around probably 800-840MHz. You might have to play with the CPU multiplier and FSB to get the desired RAM speed.

Hope that helps.

EDIT: Oh, and since you're using a 45nm CPU I'm not sure if the 1.475v rule applies. I dunno the threshold voltage for those CPU's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom