Expert opinion on external backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

waytoosmall

In Runtime
Hello all, need some help. I'm looking for an external storage system that is raid 1 capable. This is for backup at a business so I want to make sure I get something very good and reliable. I've looked at the ones that are expandable, like that have 4 bays, and that would be great. We will start out with 1 terabyte then increase as needed. In terms of interface, I would want eSata at least. I was also thinking that a NAS interface might be good, but we do not have a network setup where this will be. Do you need a router for a nas, or can you just use a switch? With no internet access in the building yet, we don't have a router, but if I need one to plug a NAS into, as long as it doesn't have to have internet access, I'm down. Thank you for the assistance.

To be honest I do not like a raid1 array as a backup array.
I would want the raid1 or raid5 array on the server for protection against hardware failure.

Next I like rotating hard drives. At least 3. One for a Mon, Wed, Fri. and one for Tue, Thur. and one to be rotated out weekly to an offsite location .

Ideally you want 6 drives one for each workday and one to rotate offsite.

Edit:
Here is a system that I have sued and find very nice to use with hotswap drives.
High-Rely Systems Makes Hot-Swappable Hard Drive Backup Systems. Fast (eSATA USB). Reliable. Cost Effective. RAIDFrame FirstRAID

They do have removable raid1 arrays as well if you want to go that route.

Thank you for the response. I guess I should have clarified. This is for a studio that is just starting up. We are backing up our recordings. And we don't want to spend more than ~$500. I was thinking like 250 to 300 for the enclosure and then 2 --1 terabyte drives for around 100 a piece. That system you recomended is awesome but a little sophisticated for us at this point. I junt need a simple external enclosure with redundancy that is well known and reliable. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom