Windows won't boot on my old PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
As long as the drive is still recognizable on the new computer, you should be good. You may run into having to take permission of the Documents & Settings folder, though. There's a topic about that in the Windows Sticky index (in the Windows board, titled ***READ FIRST***).

As long as the drive is still recognizable on the new computer, you should be good. You may run into having to take permission of the Documents & Settings folder, though. There's a topic about that in the Windows Sticky index (in the Windows board, titled ***READ FIRST***).

Thanks!
I will look in to that.

Here's the directory for your local folders in OE (you'll need to unhide folders and files):
C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{numbers and letters}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

Folder for address book (wab.exe):
C:\Program Files\Outlook Express

Here's the directory for your local folders in OE (you'll need to unhide folders and files):
C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{numbers and letters}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

Folder for address book (wab.exe):
C:\Program Files\Outlook Express

Awesome !

Thanks so much !

I will try to connect the drive tonight or tomorrow to my new PC. I am not sure if the connections are compatible, I might need some kind of adapter.

What connection does the drive have vs what you have available on your computer? If you don't have an open compatible internal connector, then you may have to just get an external enclosure.

What connection does the drive have vs what you have available on your computer? If you don't have an open compatible internal connector, then you may have to just get an external enclosure.

I don't know what those connections are called, but as far as I remember, my old PCs hard drive is connected with one of those broad multi-pin connectors (they look similar to the floppy connectors). I don't know if my new PCs motherboard has that connection, I will take a look in the manual.
Is an external enclosure something like an adapter?
My new PC has an e-sata connection in the front.

The wide ribbon is called ide.
You new motherboard will have one.
You will be connecting it directly to the motherboard.

Thanks !

Before I go ahead an connect my old PC's hard-drive via IDE onto my new PC's motherboard:
Do I need to worry about my new PC seeing that as the hard-drive to boot from?
I mean, do I need to change anytihng in the bios or anything else before I do this?
Could connecting this hard-drive onto the IDE port of my nww PC mess up anything on my new PC?

UPDATE:

Ok, so I just tried it, I took the disc out of my old PC and connected it in my new PC. Then when trying to boot Windows it wanted to check the disd (chkdsk) but I interrupted in order to boot windows right away, and everything took very long. Until I finally entered windows, and I saw my desktop, but no symbols yet, and it still stayed like that for like 2 minutes or something, so I thought, this does not look right and I shut it off and diconnected the hard drive again.
Is this normal, that it taeks so long? What should I do? I don't want the chkdsk to run since I ran it already on my old PC and it took 1,5 days (!!!) to finish.
Should I try to boot agian and just wait?

At some point I was afraid of a virus or something. Could my old hdd be damaged by a virus maybe?

Did you try booting off of the old drive, or the new computer's actual OS? You'll wanna put the jumper to slave on the old drive also.

Thanks!
No, I was booting off my new PC's OS.
I did not change anything in BIOS, and my new PC recognized the disc as drive F.
The jumper to slave, does that have to do with which connector of the IDE cale I connect?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom