USB keyboard failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wrex

Baseband Member
Hello. On my desktop computer (DELL Dimension 2400) I'm using an A4 Tech keyboard. This keyboard is relatively new and I haven't had any sort of problems with it earlier. Yesterday I was doing regular things on the computer and suddenly the keyboard died.

This was totally random because I didn't notice anything bad before it froze. I tried to reboot hoping it would sort out since it worked that way with my old keyboard those few times it died (in a period of 5 years). There are 3 lights on the keyboard to show activated keys: Num Lock, Caps Lock and Scroll Lock. Usually when I boot up my computer, those 3 lights turn on for a few seconds then they go off and then finally the 'last used' get activated. (meaning there are normally a light on for the Num Lock.

When rebooting the system after the keyboard died, there would be the normal 'start lightning' and then nothing else. When it's done booting and I am facing the login screen, it's dead again. At first I thought the port (PS/2) was dead since the keyboard is completely new and not damaged at all. After quickly buying a new PS/2 adapter to check, I figured out that the keyboard would light up like normal when connecting/disconnecting the keyboard using the adapter then it died like it does on boot up. THEN I decided to stick it inside my Linux machine with and without the adapter (which worked fine both ways) and now I am stuck to believe that the actual driver has died/fallen asleep.

But what I don't get is, why is the keyboard recognized at boot and then it dozes off again? And why does it blink each time I connect it using the PS/2 adapter?

How am I able to fix this if I can't even get into BIOS or confirm the OS CD run I wanted to try for a Windows XP repair? I never had this issue before, it just strikes me how sudden it was. No, I haven't tried any other keyboard. I can't do that as I don't have any. But since the keyboard works with my other computer, why would it be broke? It's definitely really hard for me to be without my desktop computer. I have all the important things on it and I can't afford losing it. Please help me out, TF.

Thanks in advance.

I don't see any way of fixing the problem with out a key board that works so try to get one that works to fix this problem. The USB or PS/2 drivers for your keyboard could have been corrupted some how and an uninstall and a fresh install would fix it. Something else to consider is the USB to PS/2 adapter could have gone bad as well. If it's not those two then the PS/2 hardware on your mobo went bad. I don't think you can replace that with out a motherboard replacement.

But what I don't get is, why is the keyboard recognized at boot and then it dozes off again? And why does it blink each time I connect it using the PS/2 adapter?

The way I understand a computer booting up is that it'll load all the drivers and if something is wrong with the driver it may try to load it but then fail. Thus the blinking lights and then nothing situation you're running into. It may blink each time you connect the keyboard due to the motherboard trying to detect, install and load the keyboard and or drivers.

Good luck...

I don't see any way of fixing the problem with out a key board that works so try to get one that works to fix this problem. The USB or PS/2 drivers for your keyboard could have been corrupted some how and an uninstall and a fresh install would fix it. Something else to consider is the USB to PS/2 adapter could have gone bad as well. If it's not those two then the PS/2 hardware on your mobo went bad. I don't think you can replace that with out a motherboard replacement.

The way I understand a computer booting up is that it'll load all the drivers and if something is wrong with the driver it may try to load it but then fail. Thus the blinking lights and then nothing situation you're running into. It may blink each time you connect the keyboard due to the motherboard trying to detect, install and load the keyboard and or drivers.

Good luck...

Thanks for the reply. The keyboard occasionally worked while connected through the PS/2 adapter but since it's plugged in with an USB it wouldn't work on boot so I was unable to enter the BIOS.
Either way, I decided to just get a temporary keyboard to fix this. It appears that it was all I needed. I'm pretty broke.. but I found some *** cheap keyboard and it seems to have fixed the issue. Hooray!

If this ever happens again, try deleting the keyboard adapter and then restarting. You can use the Ease of Access center with the on-screen keyboard to do anything you need to while in Windows.

Yeah, I had to use the on-screen keyboard the second time. But the first time I was dumb enough to reboot thinking it would be fixed since that has worked before.

Thanks for your response. I'll keep it in mind if it happens with the new keyboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom