Help me Help my friend with his new build.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drizzt

Fully Optimized
My friend wants to upgrade parts of his computer. He wont be buying right away, but probably in the next 2 or 3 weeks. He only needs a new Mobo,ram, cpu, and gpu.

So far we have these choices:
Mobo: Newegg.com - ASUS P6T LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
RAM: Newegg.com - OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
CPU: He is going to buy a i7 920 D0 at microcenter
GPU: He wants either a gtx275,280, or 285 depending on the price. I want him to get a gtx285 openbox on newegg. No ATI. No ATI. No ATI. The reason: Unavoidable problems with ATI cards that can't be fixed by the user, wont be fixed by ATI, and so he should save himself the hassle and just not buy ATI. Lets just leave it there please.

Or

We can get a deal for this stuff:
Asus X48 Rampage Formula
2-2gb Crucial Ballistix Tracers PC2-8500 DDR2 1066
Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 3.00 GHz cpu

+ he buys the gpu somewhere else

for around $550 off of somebody.

Waddyathink we should do? And any suggestions?

I'd take the first build mate.

Q9650's are nice, and even though they can go to 4.0ghz, I'd rather have the Core i7 that can also do close to 4.0ghz, are faster clock per clock and are Hyper-threaded for an extra $150.

I'd take the first build mate.

Q9650's are nice, and even though they can go to 4.0ghz, I'd rather have the Core i7 that can also do close to 4.0ghz, are faster clock per clock and are Hyper-threaded for an extra $150.

Thanks, what about the parts that I picked for him so far? Would you change the mobo or ram? I know what i picked will work but I am wondering if I could of picked better.

I would go with the first build and I would only buy a open box video card if it was a good deal cheaper. But what about open box gtx260 in sli (if his psu can handle it)? Could probably get that for just a little more than a open box 285.

OT: What unavoidable problems with ATI cards are you talking about? Just curious since I have a ati card.

Edit: The ram you picked is good. I haven't been following prices lately but the specs are good and OCZ is usually cheap and reliable (I have a bunch of stuff from them).

Get the first build. The P6T is a very nice motherboard, but if you want to choose something else the EVGA X58 is also nice. The P6T is a slightly better overclocker, but EVGA have much better customer service... so its personal choice really.

Unavoidable problems................Gosh you should tell us right away before half of the users here on TF have their systems explode! I don't want both of my 4850s to die!

I would go with the first build and I would only buy a open box video card if it was a good deal cheaper. But what about open box gtx260 in sli (if his psu can handle it)? Could probably get that for just a little more than a open box 285.

OT: What unavoidable problems with ATI cards are you talking about? Just curious since I have a ati card.

Edit: The ram you picked is good. I haven't been following prices lately but the specs are good and OCZ is usually cheap and reliable (I have a bunch of stuff from them).
Well... I would consider -$70 cheaper for a gtx285
No dual GPU solutions yet for him.

It is such a small problem that there is no reason for anyone besides me and a select few to worry about it. If you must know, pm me to keep it out of the thread.
Get the first build. The P6T is a very nice motherboard, but if you want to choose something else the EVGA X58 is also nice. The P6T is a slightly better overclocker, but EVGA have much better customer service... so its personal choice really.
Thanks, I trust ASUS way more then EVGA for mobo's though :/. I've had bad experience with EVGA. And I rather he get a mobo that works on arrival. DOA is EVGA's specialty it appears no matter the socket.
Unavoidable problems................Gosh you should tell us right away before half of the users here on tech forums have their systems explode! I don't want both of my 4850s to die!

Nothing like that, don't worry about it. If you don't know what I am referring too then you never will and there is no reason not to buy from ATI. Excellent performance/dollar.

I will put my vote in for the asus as well.
My second choice would be evga with biostar as a third for an i7.

the ram you chose is very nice.

If you could talk him into the 285 he would be very happy.
I do not have problems with open box from newegg providing the cost is appropriate with $80 less sounds pretty good to me.

buy the 285 then do an even swap for my 260 since mine is a limited edition European version.

Nothing like that, don't worry about it. If you don't know what I am referring too then you never will and there is no reason not to buy from ATI. Excellent performance/dollar.

Well, if you told us then we would know. I understand you take stabs at ATI a lot, but you own an ATI card. i would really like to know. Perhaps we can help you fix whatever problem you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom