Is there any point of increasing a lcd monitor's refresh rate from 60 to 75hz?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stainer711

In Runtime
Is there any point in increasing a lcd monitor's refresh rate from 60 to 75hz?

Hey, I was having a hard time paying attention while playing diablo 2 because it felt like everything was kind of moving at a blur. I increased my monitor's refresh rate to 75hz, and the problems seem to be reduced. I've tried researching the issue, and some article say that it doesn't really matter what the refresh rate is on a lcd monitor. Can anyone say anything on this issue? I have a viewsonic va902b monitor with 8ms response time.

Refresh rate is the speed to which the monitor refreshes its screen. SO generally speaking yes a higher refresh rate will yeild a crisper picture and fast moving objects will move much more smoothly. Issue is if you hit a rate at which the monitor struggles with it will make the picture fuzzy and distort it.

Refresh rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Well because it is a bit different for an LCD. Like the article you posted says the picture is not 'painted' on the screen w/ LCD monitors like it is with a CRT. So Hertz is a measurement of backlight or something like that (i don't fully understand it). Because with LCD the image is not painted, but little bubbles of gas are given lectricity which produces color.

So basically with CRT refresh rate really mattes b/c it is how many times the picture is refreshed, with LCD the picture is refreshed a different way which is why Hertz really doesn't play a role in quality of picture. Still plays some type of role (something to do with backlight and how the monitor communicates with the video card), just not as large of a role.

The biggest issue about this is - Eye Strain The lower the hertz, the more eye strain you have. It's hard to "see" it sometimes, depending on your monitor but if you have a good monitor, you walk back about 15 feet, move your head up and down a bit, and you can actually see the lines. Ever see a tv in a movie, you see the lines going across the screen, thats the refresh. I know it hurts my eyes if I look at it for a while. Setting the refresh rate to high even if the monitor supports it can damage it, I've done it to a CRT Sony 21".

Well, the way I am looking at it involves only caring about how many frames are being displayed per second. I am just wondering if there are indeed 15 more frames being shown every second on-screen at 75hz when compared to 60hz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom