Daemon Poster
hey guys ..
well i am thinking about upgrading my pc, my current specs

my specs :

Operating System Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate

OS Service Pack Service Pack 1

Internet Explorer 7.0.6001.18000

DirectX DirectX 10.1

CPU QuadCore Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550, 2833 MHz (8.5 x 333)

Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P
Motherboard Chipset Intel Eaglelake P45

Memory 4096 MB (DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM)
DIMM2: G Skill F2-6400CL5-2GBPQ 2 GB DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM (5-5-5-15 @ 400 MHz) (4-4-4-10 @ 266 MHz)
DIMM4: G Skill F2-6400CL5-2GBPQ 2 GB DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM (5-5-5-15 @ 400 MHz) (4-4-4-10 @ 266 MHz)

BIOS Type Award Modular (11/14/08)

GPU ATI Radeon HD 4850 (RV770)

PSU: Antec True Power 550W
now what i am thinking about doing is getting one more kit of ram so that would give me 8 gigs , and getting another gpu for crossfire, but i am wondering if its better to go one 1 gig card or 2 of the same one i have ? does that mean i am going to need a new PSU?
thanks

Re: crossfire or just one crad

Your PSU is fine for two HD 4850's as long as you don't take that q9550 to an extreme overclock. But tbh, unless you run at 1920x1200 I don't see any need to get another HD 4850 or another RAM kit for that matter.

If you really think the GPU isn't enough and are struggling in a lot of games, then only would I recommend considering another HD 4850.

well the extra ram is for my 3d work , it seems that after i hit 100 million poly count i start to slow down ..
but as far as the extra GPU , i usually run my games at 1680x1050 and alot of them lag a little .
but i mean overall is it better to go crossfire or just a one 1 gig card

I don't recommend 1GB cards, because most don't have the bandwidth to address all 1GB's and then take a performance hit. Nonetheless, since you work with 3d applications, the RAM would be more useful for you.

EDIT: You said you lagged a bit? Try to overclock that GPU a bit

Sounds like a GPU issue.. why not try to ask Newegg for an exchange? or better yet, ask XFX.. they are real cool about this kind of stuff

i actually opened a ticket for the issue with XFX as i wasn't able to get an answer to solve this issue , i even tried lowering the clock and raising the fan speed just to check of a heat issue, but as far as exchanging with newegg i ordered mine on 2/27/2009 so i doubt i can do that, but ill try calling xfx and see if i can get a new card . or is it too late?

Nah unless you've already lived two lifetimes :D

XFX has a double lifetime warranty on their cards... so you should be good

well that's good to know..i guess i am going to have to order another card for now and when and if i get this fixed ill just run it crossfire.
thanks for the help...Rep+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom