$125 for new PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

35g700

rustle rustle
I've got $125 to spend on a new PSU. My current one is junk and I have to unplug it from power when my computer is shut off if I want to turn it on.

I'm probably going to upgrade to i7 sometime but I don't know when, and I don't think SLI will be worth it down the road and I'll probably just buy a new video card when my 260 starts to get old rather then buying another 260 and running them in SLI.

I was thinking a 750TX or 650TX but I have a few questions...

Will the PSUs draw the same amount of power each or will the 750 draw more then the 650? I know the 750 is bigger but if my computer isn't running at full load will it always be drawing 750 watts?

And is there a good modular PSU that is reliable and is made by a good high quality brand for $125?

the answer to your questions is no, the psu's will only use what power is need the 750 will not use more than the 650. i would get the 650tx that psu can handle an i7 and a your gpu easy.

Most of the decent psu's are over 80% efficient (what they call 80+), and after that most quality psus are pretty close efficiency wise. The 750tx would be a great choice or even 650tx and both will draw somewhat exactly the same power assuming they are approximately the same effciency. If you want modular (personally i prefer modular too) these are some good choices.

the OCZ modxstream, these are quite good psu, reviews show they are effcient as the corsairs
Newegg.com - OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ700MXSP 700W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply compatible with core i7 - Power Supplies

But like vernong rec. silvertstone are great, one of my personal favourites, great quality.
Newegg.com - SILVERSTONE ST70F 700W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies
get the great rebate on this or the 600w vern said, great psus.

no problem, post back to tell us how good it is, i'd like to see how other view the silverstone expierence.

no problem, post back to tell us how good it is, i'd like to see how other view the silverstone expierence.

It just came in today and I already love it. I've never had a modular power supply and it makes cable management a lot easier. I really like how quiet it is my other PSU was the thing in my computer that made all the noise I guess... Maybe now I can leave my computer on all night and have it fold 24/7 and still be able to sleep well :).

The striders are awesome i had one in my old rig, i love it how all of the cables are modular and not just the optionals. I have been eying off the silverstone RV01 case and would love to pair it with a nice modular silverstone in my next rig.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom