m2n-sli deluxe what kind of CPU upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidJC

Baseband Member
I am trying yo upgrade my brothers computer I was thinking about a Phenom II x3 720. But I know this board needs a bios update, and even then I think I am limited. I found this chart.

CPU-Upgrade: ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe cpu support and features

I am not sure how reliable it is. I have been out of the AMD market for awhile, but I do want to get him an upgrade soon. I am going to pop in my 4870 1GB and the new CPU. So I have to make sure I have a compatible CPU. Currently he has a x2 6000 AMD. And really it would be nice if I could replace it with something to match the 4870 upgrade as well.

well according to the chart it will run a AM2+ x3 or x4, but I think I just cant get a Phenom II because it's AM3. There is some confusion about this but the chart I posted says it supports x4 even.

It will run old Phenoms, not the new ones.

Phenom x3 and x4 - yes.
Phenom II x3 and x4 - no.

x3 and x4 were around before the 720 and 940. :p

EDIT: You may want to contact the manufacturer and find out for sure, though.

I have the same mobo, it will support pheno X3 an X4 socket AM3 processors are supposed to be backwards compatible but to be honest I wouldn't really want to buy one an run it on a AM2

Ok well I will see then, I don't want to rip out the mobo. It's a pain. A CPU/GPU upgrade is easy enough to do though.

It is about a million times easier to upgrade the processor when the mobo is outside the case, it won't take long to remove it I can have a mobo stripped of all power, data, an USB cables and out of the case in under 10 min.

yeah but with this MSI I had VERY VERY bad driver issues. I just think I'd almost have to wipe windows and reformat too. A CPU/GPU is a lot less to install, as far as drivers. My sound got jacked up on this board once becuase of drivers and it was **** to fix. Now my brother has the board.

I am really looking got a cheap powerful CPU for the MOBO. I mean really the x2 6000 is decent. But a good AMD that is around a q6600 power level would be great for the 4870.

Good call, PJ.

Check the company first to see if there is some way of supporting the Phenom II's. I don't think it could, but it's worth a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom