New Build, RAM Problem, appreciate HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

blinky88

Baseband Member
Hi all,

A friend called me earlier today with a problem with his new build, no post, blank screen. I went over to have a look and discovered that 1 of the 184 pin RAM connections in slot 1 had dislodged itself and caused a short .... he has RAM in slots 1, 2, 3 and 4. After removing the RAM in slot 1 it will not read the RAM in slots 2, 3 or 4, I suggested the board is more than likely stuffed .... I would like to know is there any way to disable slot 1 so it will read the RAM in slots 2, 3 and 4 ?

Advise would really be appreciated.

What motherboard is this? Can you post the model? Reason I ask is while there may have been damage done to one of the RAM slots most boards that I've dealt with will utilize any slot used, if you use 2 it will use 2 and skip 1, 3 and 4. The only ones that I know require certain ones used is when you are dealing with dual channel RAM in which the MB is looking for another stick in a particular slot.

Are you sure this is RAM? With bad ram it would start up, you would just get an error message. SO either this is a power issue OR the motherboard is in fact faulty. Test the power supply with a multimeter or on another system to see if it starts up. If it does you know the issue is the MB, if it doesn't the power supply may be dead.

I've had RAM sticks partially in and it did not create a short, just didn't go past the POST screen and beeped the amout of times equal to a RAM error (depends on manf).

It is a new MSI PE Neo Board with Intel 865 chipset. One of the connectors actually broke off in slot 1, that is what caused the short, not badly inserted, faulty RAM. Slots 3 and 4 have 512Mb of new identical Hynix PC2700. PC will not post and blank screen. With regards to the power supply, it is a new 400w CORSAIR, I doubt that is causing any problems.

Connect a speaker to the MB to see if it gives a POST error.

My appologies, I didn't realize the computer was turning on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom