Will my computer bottleneck?

Status
Not open for further replies.
it could, if the program you are running is not made for quad cores, it will perform like a e5200 and mostlikely bottleneck you some.

have you tried to overclock any?

well in that price range you can get a e8400, which wouldnt bottleneck a GTX 280 at all. and would be faster core for core and clock for clock than the q8300

The e8400 would be faster in applications that don't support quads due to it's higher clock speed and extra 2mb of l2. However in applications that do support quads the q8300 should perform better even at it's lower stock speed.

is there any bottleneck issues anymore at all? I thought i seen someone post some sort of proof before that as long as it's a duel-core at/above 2.0ghz it won't bottle neck anything?

The cpu bottleneck thing is largely over stated. There was a great post about it years ago at the Tom's Hardware forums. When it comes to games that are well written the work a CPU must do is much lighter than that of the video card. In almost every case the cpu will be doing it's job faster than the video card simply because of the work load. This is assuming your cpu is fairly modern. This wouldn't apply to a Pentium 4 running Crysis or anything. But games are almost always GPU limited and the performance increase from Conroe to Wolfdale is 10%. Just look at the benchmarks, cpu changes affect the fps by maybe 3 or 4 frames.

it could, if the program you are running is not made for quad cores, it will perform like a e5200 and mostlikely bottleneck you some.

have you tried to overclock any?

Nope and i do not know how..
Btw is there any game using quad core yet?

Nope and i do not know how..
Btw is there any game using quad core yet?

Supreme Commander forged alliance comes to mind. A few others as well.

CPU bottleneck is obvious in some Valve games on the source engine. Valve recently released an option in settings though so you can take advantage of more cores. This was for TF2 and L4D and showed some great performance results. I'd go for a PhII tri core/quad btw rather then a q8300. You probably will get better performance and wont be on a doomed socket.

Supreme Commander forged alliance comes to mind. A few others as well.

CPU bottleneck is obvious in some Valve games on the source engine. Valve recently released an option in settings though so you can take advantage of more cores. This was for TF2 and L4D and showed some great performance results. I'd go for a PhII tri core/quad btw rather then a q8300. You probably will get better performance and wont be on a doomed socket.

This looks like he has a prebuilt and is looking to upgrade his graphics card, I could be wrong but he's not asking about any other components.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom