Will GTX 280 work with my computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
well Inspiron 537 is the newest desktop from Dell..i heard its kinda like inspiron 530 but not so sure..can anyone one with the 537 tell me will the psu fit?
Oh and this is a total n00b question..Pcie 2x6+2 pins = 2x8 pins right?
"only thing I would be worried about is if the Dell uses the Dell only PS, if it does that Corsair might be an issue. Nice PS though, I have it in my system."
Can you show me some of the system using Dell only PS?

After some research the guy at the DellCommunity told me that they stopped making proprietary 3or4 years ago..so i dont think there will be a problem.

After some research the guy at the DellCommunity told me that they stopped making proprietary 3or4 years ago..so i dont think there will be a problem.

That's good to know and thanks for letting me know that info, Wasn't sure when or if they stopped but have seen both. I love my Corsair TX650

Dauntae

Sorry mate, but that guy is lying. They still use proprietary parts in their machines, trust me.

But the main issue here is if you can fit the PSU, not whether or not it will work. A normal PSU will work on a Dell motherboard. The problem is when you replace a dell motherboard but not the PSU. I have literally seen motherboards melt because of other shops not replacing the PSU in a dell, or not getting a Dell specific motherboard.

The trick here is to see what dimensions your case is going to be, and checking the dimensions on the 650tx. For all intensive purposes, I think you should be fine, but I don't know the measurements.

EDIT: Honestly, I know I've said it before, but in my personal opinion it would be much less of a hassle to cancel the Dell order and build one yourself...it would be cheaper, and you wouldn't have to buy parts to replace stuff. You wouldn't have to worry about something fitting or being compatible because you'll have hand picked the parts out with our help.

Just my two cents mate.

Sorry mate, but that guy is lying. They still use proprietary parts in their machines, trust me.

But the main issue here is if you can fit the PSU, not whether or not it will work. A normal PSU will work on a Dell motherboard. The problem is when you replace a dell motherboard but not the PSU. I have literally seen motherboards melt because of other shops not replacing the PSU in a dell, or not getting a Dell specific motherboard.

I wont be changing any mobo anytime soon..by the time i want to do sli or anything like that ill be building a whole new computer, on youtube ive seen people changing the psu in inspiron 530, which is smiliar to 537, 537 is slightly larger. The 537 is a new dell model so anyone who ordered it wont be getting until the end of May. So no PSU measurement until June..

It's not even about the motherboard swapping, and if you're changing out the PSU, it's a moot point anyway.

My main point is not only would you get a machine quicker than that Dell, but you'd get something better, and it would save you some money since you're buying parts anyway, you know? That way you aren't paying for things you aren't going to use.

This is just my personal opinion, but it's something to think about.

I have to agree with hikaricloud, Building the system is actually real easy to do, Ive built snap tight models that where harder to put together than a PC and the people on this site are real helpful (that's an understatement to be honest) and with the video card and PS your adding you can get the rest for less with better product and a larger monitor.
Newegg.com - Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TForce TP43D2A7 LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
Newegg.com - G.SKILL PI Black 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
Newegg.com - Acer X223Wbd Black 22" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 2500:1 - LCD Monitors
Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders - Operating Systems
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 2.5GHz 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
Comes out to $658 with 22" monitor without the parts you where adding to the Dell. And these are not the cheap parts, these are better brands, to go cheap it could be built much cheaper.

Just an option for you.
Dauntae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom