SSD HDD's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry the link comment was directed to the OP for a link to a source stating they have reached SATAII bandwidth ;)

Ahh lol, makes sense, I'm translating some urgent stuff for a Client right now and my brain is elsewhere. :D

I'll read that when I get a chance but using Wikipedia as a source of quality information is at best sketchy....

EDIT: Had a quick glance at the article. It states that some top of the line HDs are "close to saturating" the SATA300 interface. That is true, and it's basically what was said in this thread. Just like I said in my first post, I wouldn't worry unless you plan to buy the next top of the line 700GBP model the manufacturers come up with. Even then SATA300 will probably still be at the limit of saturation. I believe that even the enthusiast gaming performance market will still be well catered for by SATA300 at least for another year.

Thats completley right, you shouldn't be worried too much baout maxing out the SATA II bandwidth when 90% of gamers are still using hard disks, dont forget it wont impact your gaming framerate at all.

from the article under sata 6 it says

Ten channels of fast flash can actually reach well over 500 MB/s with new ONFI drives

Ten channels of fast flash can actually reach well over 500 MB/s with new ONFI drives

I'd love to see benchmarks from a competent site corroborating this. I'm a bit of an HD junkie and I try to hunt down every single review and benchmark around there, and there is nothing that has ever been tested that I've read that corroborates this. After all it's Wikipedia.... :)

They also need to work out the problem of SSD speed degredation.

True that. And it's a pretty big problem indeed. All these benchmarks are done on fresh drives. Do the same benchmark on a drive after three months of use and the curves fall down in a huge way....

Im not sure exactly what that means maybe he is saying ten channels of flash chips can reach 500mb/s at their max write or something, this doesn't mean that a ssd can function as this speed given the other parts in the device that consume time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom