Overclocking an MSI 8800 GTS 512 OC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll make sure I test that too.

OK at 799 core 1700 shaders 1081 memory I'm stable in Furmark and the temp flatlines and peaks out at 83ºC. For how long should I let the stress test run until I can consider it "stable"? It was running for around 10 minutes.

On the other hand, I've recorded FPS with Fraps in several games over one hour in each game with these settings, I'll do the same pushing shaders up and lowering core to see the difference.

So what's the top peak temperature I should consider safe? Mind you that in-game it never reached 70ºC.

Found that the shaders go much lower than the core %-wise on my card, so settled on 811 core / 1829 shaders / 1098 memory, seems pretty decent and it's 100% stable. Taking the core over 820 seems to destabilise it, and going into volt modding on stock cooling won't really work, so I think that's my final result.

Some 8800gts 512's are beast OC'ers. But 730 isn't too bad.
If you could get it to 800 that would be beast.

Isn't your card really loud with the fan at 100%? Have you considered an aftermarket cooler?
The accelero s1 rev2 can be had for pretty cheap. At least when I bought it. I think it is compatible with your card.

After that, if you feel brave enough you could try some voltage mods.

Some 8800gts 512's are beast OC'ers. But 730 isn't too bad.
If you could get it to 800 that would be beast.

Isn't your card really loud with the fan at 100%? Have you considered an aftermarket cooler?
The accelero s1 rev2 can be had for pretty cheap. At least when I bought it. I think it is compatible with your card.

After that, if you feel brave enough you could try some voltage mods.

Heh you have not seen the latest posts in the thread. I am stable at 811 core 1829 shaders 1098 memory now for some days of playing, but temps are approaching 70ºC under load and the summer in Spain has not even started, so I will probably tone it down a bit (800/1800/1080 or so). :)

The fan is VERY loud indeed at 100%, louder than all the other fans combined (139mm fan on the Scythe HSF, 3x92mm Papsts blowing on VGA, HSF and HDs, 120mm Papst exhaust at the back plus the fan on the PSU). I looked into the Accelero but from my understanding it is only compatible with G80 GTSs. I saw the TRad2 but it's 45€, and i would need to add two fans, which are about 10€ each for good Papst or Scythe ones, plus thermal paste. I think that spending 70€ on a card that is hardly worth that much right now is not a very good spending choice. I'd go to 30€ total tops, but honestly can't find anything for that amount.

I have no problem with going into voltage mods, especially with a card that I will soon be replacing, but I don't think it makes much sense unless I go for better cooling.

i agree 100%

I'm sure that what he said is true, but I did the tests when I read that suggestion and the problem is that my shaders OC much worse than the core (8% max OC for shaders, 25%+ for the core). Thus, I get more out of maxing the core and getting the shaders as high as possible (tested with FRAPS benchmarking in long gaming sessions these last days).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom