SSD HDD's

Status
Not open for further replies.

robina_80

Banned
im considering on my next build to get a SSD for computer but i dont know when coz my computer hasnt blown up yet so could be a while, i just want your opinion are they worth getting also i heard somewhere that SATA 2 which is 300Mbps isnt quick enougth for it it needs at least SATA 3 which will come out next year which is 600 i think

The absolute fastest SSDs from OCZ, Intel and lately Corsair are reaching 200 MBps peaks (it is MB not Mb for the SATA300 throughput too), so you are well safe for some time. Those drives cost upwards of 500 bucks btw, but they are worth it if you want the best performance available. The lower end models are not worth it at all IMO, unless you want low noise / heat. Bear in mind that most SSDs are not very durable either, especially low end ones. Here is a very good article about the latest high end Corsair SSD, but it also covers general aspects you may be interested in:

HEXUS.net - Review :: Corsair P256 256GB Solid State Drive: designed for performance junkies : Page - 1/13

The new Gskill/Corsair SSD's have a new controller which allows them to write small files quickly as they suffered at that b4 being beaten by raptors and such. The best gskill SSD seems to be the fastest and reaches up the nearlly 270mb/s and a 242mb/s read seed avgerage! atthe rate these things are increasing in performance SATA3 is looking to be a waiting for upgrade.

i swear i read that sata 300MB isnt fast enougth to take full advantage they need to wait till sata 6 comes out

The new Gskill/Corsair SSD's have a new controller which allows them to write small files quickly as they suffered at that b4 being beaten by raptors and such. The best gskill SSD seems to be the fastest and reaches up the nearlly 270mb/s and a 242mb/s read seed avgerage! atthe rate these things are increasing in performance SATA3 is looking to be a waiting for upgrade.

The best Hexus found on the top of the line new Corsair or small files was, IIRC, 240/220. Even with 270/240 benchmarking peaks as you say, this will still comfortably fit in SATA300, but yeah, some time (relatively) soon an upgrade to SATA throughput will be necessary. They still have not hit that wall though. I believe that the next step in SSD evolution will be more working towards making them more reliable / durable (and cheaper!) though, since these speeds that the top models are already achieving are very good now.

Let's see how it pans out, but the bottom line is that you can not get any HD that saturates SATA300 on the market right now.

i swear i read that sata 300MB isnt fast enougth to take full advantage they need to wait till sata 6 comes out

I'm sure you may have read that somewhere but there are many reliable information sources that state otherwise, among them the one I linked to you (I consider Hexus the most reliable out of the big name ones right now, but that is just my opinion). SATA300 is enough even for the fastest HD available right now.

Not yet, send me through the link, Im sure the latest will only get up to about 270mb/s, but only a couple months ago the best was like 235mb/s and small file write were very bad. You are right, but this is why the new ones are SLC which provides 10x the reliability potential of the old ones which were MLC. Im sure they will reach the bandwidth soon, but depending on sata3 optional upgrades that wont move into it straight away becasue people will need new motherboards and they will loose business.

Not yet, send me through the link, Im sure the latest will only get up to about 270mb/s, but only a couple months ago the best was like 235mb/s and small file write were very bad.

The link is in my first post in this thread. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom