Windows won't boot on my old PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had the scan run until it was finished and it said at the bottam that there was at least one problem with the drive that could not be solved.:(
So, if I want to save my data on it, I gotta connect it to the motherboard of my other PC?
Can I also get stuff like adress book from Outlook express back?

You can hook it up to your current computer as well, assuming you have the correct connections. Have you tried to boot into Windows on it yet?

Yes you can still get address book and even all of your local folders for OE (Inbox, any custom folders you may have made, etc).

You can hook it up to your current computer as well, assuming you have the correct connections. Have you tried to boot into Windows on it yet?

Yes you can still get address book and even all of your local folders for OE (Inbox, any custom folders you may have made, etc).

Thanks!

Yes, I tried too boot, but it did not work, tried all options again (safe mode too), same thing.
This weekend I will look into hooking it up to my new PC.
If that works, can I then just open OE for instance from my old drive but on my new PC?

Today when I wanrted to switch on my new PC it would not boot.
I got a message screen saying windows could not be started due to a change in software- or hardware.
I got a choice menu of different option to either try again, or to try boot in the last working configuration or in safe mode. I tried all of then, but none let me boot windows.
Whne I tried to boot it normally I got a blue screen, but it was only on for a split second so I could not read what it saud and the PC would reset.

Could this be a broken hard-disc? or a virus?

Is there anyway I can find out without being able to boot windows? Do uouy tihnk I lost all the content of my old PC?
What can I do now?

I would appreciate any help!

Thanks,
Lars

Hm did you take a hard drive from and old computer and put it into a new computer without formatting and putting a fresh install of windows on it?

EDIT*

It's weird, the process was at 75%, and jumped back to 50%. Is this normal?

Yes, it does multiple stages of checks.

Thanks!

Yes, I tried too boot, but it did not work, tried all options again (safe mode too), same thing.
This weekend I will look into hooking it up to my new PC.
If that works, can I then just open OE for instance from my old drive but on my new PC?

Not quite that simple.

you'll have to go into the app data folder I think it is and get the wab.exe files as well as the .DBX files (you can always just do a file search for these as well). Just make sure you undhide hidden folders.

Hm did you take a hard drive from and old computer and put it into a new computer without formatting and putting a fresh install of windows on it?

EDIT*

Yes, it does multiple stages of checks.

Thanks!

No, I did not change anything in terms of hardware or software.
I ran chkdsk from the recovery console, and it looks like the disc is damaged.

Not quite that simple.

you'll have to go into the app data folder I think it is and get the wab.exe files as well as the .DBX files (you can always just do a file search for these as well). Just make sure you undhide hidden folders.

Thanks!
Looks like it might be easier for me to look for the folders manually.
Or I might have to bring the disc to a repair store do recover all the data for me.

Thanks!

No, I did not change anything in terms of hardware or software.
I ran chkdsk from the recovery console, and it looks like the disc is damaged.

Thanks!
Looks like it might be easier for me to look for the folders manually.
Or I might have to bring the disc to a repair store do recover all the data for me.

Either way you'llhave to uncheck the hide hidden folders option in the Folder Options portion of control panel. You should be able to do it easily yourself; I'll try and get you directories to look in for the OE info if I have a chance.

Either way you'llhave to uncheck the hide hidden folders option in the Folder Options portion of control panel. You should be able to do it easily yourself; I'll try and get you directories to look in for the OE info if I have a chance.

OK, thanks a lot.

So, you think I would be able to recover all the stuff (not only OE messages and adressbook) myself?

Will I be able to access the disc once I connected it to my other PC like an external drive? In that case getting all the pure data would be not too difficult.

I hope I have a few hours on saturday or sunday to see if I manage to hook up the disc to my new PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom