Windows won't boot on my old PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, like I said, you can run a HDD diagnostic program to see what they say about the health of your HDD. If they check out ok, then you'll be fine. I've ran chkdsk on drives before and then never had a problem with them after that, so it coulda just been a corrupted file is all. Hard telling.

Well, like I said, you can run a HDD diagnostic program to see what they say about the health of your HDD. If they check out ok, then you'll be fine. I've ran chkdsk on drives before and then never had a problem with them after that, so it coulda just been a corrupted file is all. Hard telling.

Oh, ok!

Well the one good tihng about these kinds of problems occurring to me is that I learn more about PCs.

Thanks to this forum I built my own PC, you guys encouraged me to do so, otherwise I would have gotten a ready built one and I would never have found out how much fun it is to build it and to learn about this stuff.

Thanks so much for your help!

Sorry, I wanted to rep you and hefemeister as well, but it won't let me, it says I gotta spread around some rep before I give it to you again.....

Glad we can help you, and we're glad that you're learning in the process; that's what we really enjoy seeing around here.

Heh, no prob about the rep, glad we're able to help.

The chkdsk /r check is now at 50%.
Can I leave it running while going to bed?
Or should I interrupt and do it again tomorrow morning? It's 2:30am over here and I will go to bed in about 30mins.
I was just wondering if I can leave this process on overnight?

Yes you can leave it going overnight. It'll just sit at the C: prompt when it gets done waiting for another command (which you can type 'exit' and it'll exit the recovery console).

When I went to bed the process was at 75%, when I got up this monring it said 52% ????
So, I stopped it (could only stop it by switching the computer off), and tried to boot windows normally, but it did not work. I am running chkdsk /r again now.

EDIT:

It's weird, the process was at 75%, and jumped back to 50%. Is this normal?

Does this process only check the system drive? I'm asking becasue I also have an external HDD connected. Should I diconnect it?

So, the chkdsk /r process is still running, but I gotta leave for work soon, and I'm owndering whether I should levae this process on and running, or turn off and run again when I'm back home, I will be out of the house for about 10 hours...

It does that. I've seen it do that to me quite a few times as well. Although it normally doesn't take that long...how big of a drive is this?

Well its possible that something could be wrong with the drive. I'd say if its not done when you get home, then stop the process and hook it up to a different computer and get your data off of it.

Well its possible that something could be wrong with the drive. I'd say if its not done when you get home, then stop the process and hook it up to a different computer and get your data off of it.

I got home and the process is indeed still running. One hour ago it was at 55% now it's at 56%, so it's veeery slow.
Does the process only scan the C sector or also a connected extrnal drive? In that case I should disconnect my external drive and start the process again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom