Will this motherboard work in this laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twizted_3kgt

Daemon Poster
I have a friends Gateway laptop and i'm trying to do them a favor and fix it. I've determined that the motherboard is fried and needs to be replaced. Problem is I can't find an exact replacement as far as the model number goes. There are 2 model numbers on the back of the laptop. The first is MA3, and the number I can't match is MX6431. I've found a bunch which have the model number MA3. They seem to be the same shape with the same components in the same spots. But I don't want to buy one and have it not be compatible for some reason. Can anyone help me out?

Here's a link to what i'm looking at:
Gateway MA3 MX6446 Motherboard 31MA3MB00A3 fully Tested - eBay (item 140319165096 end time Jun-05-09 16:45:46 PDT)
GATEWAY MA3 MX6450 AMD MOTHERBOARD CPU RAM 31MA3MB0030 - eBay (item 370203262617 end time May-28-09 09:57:05 PDT)

And if not, can someone point me in the direction of the right part?

-EDIT-

I found this during my never ending search:

Gateway Motherboard 31MA3MB00A3 for Gateway Models 4006133R,MX6439, MX6446, MX6447, MX6431

Gateway Motherboard 31MA3MB00A3 for Gateway Models 4006133R,MX6439, MX6446, MX6447, MX6431

Looks like the first link will work according to this.

Please don't double post, use the edit button at the bottom right of the first post.

If it says it works, maybe it will. That's a lot of money to fix a laptop, how old is it? What kind of hardware does it have in it?

It's all good.

Hmm. It seems to be fairly old. If a motherboard is going to cost over 300 bucks, you may want to talk them into getting a decent new machine. Just my two cents.

From what I can tell, the mobo you have should work.

It's all good.

Hmm. It seems to be fairly old. If a motherboard is going to cost over 300 bucks, you may want to talk them into getting a decent new machine. Just my two cents.

From what I can tell, the mobo you have should work.

I hear ya, but they have literally NO money. I took the laptop from them over 6 months ago to fix it (tried a new DC jack, and discovered it needs the motherboard) and they haven't been able to come up with any cash in that amount of time. I plan to get the thing fixed, set up a payment plan with them, and give it to them when they're done paying. I also wouldn't opt for the $300 one, I would go with one of the eBay listings I posted to keep cost down.

I'm just hoping someone has experience with this sort of thing with a Gateway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom