Light laptop for school?

Status
Not open for further replies.

overlord20

Fully Optimized
I am looking for a laptop around 3-4lb and 13-15" screen with some performance. I am getting this for school around the end of july or august. It will be used for school and travel since that is all I do during the winter months. I was thinking of this one

Sony - VAIO Laptop with Intel® Centrino® 2 Processor Technology - VGN-Z610Y/B

I have messed with it at best buy and I like it but it seems overpriced. Also looked at Lenovo Think Pads which is about the same price but has a little more options. Looking for decent amount of ram and larger hdd. Also I want to put windows 7 on it so i do not want to pay for a pre isntalled os.

Sony is overpriced. You are paying for the name and no online driver surpport.

I think he wants something around 13" KC. Not a standard sized 15.4" but i could be mistaken.

If you have the cash go for a Thinkpad X series, they are lightweight and robust and have a optical drive.

I think he wants something around 13" KC. Not a standard sized 15.4" but i could be mistaken.

A 15.4" is fine. I am mainly looking at weight. That is why I am looking at around a 13". I need something not too bulky. I hate sitting in my hotel with a heavy laptop to lug. I think I might go for the Lenovo W series and deal with the 5.6Lb. The x series with the touch pad is pricy and only offer ssd's. I will check out the idea pads. I am going to have my i7 but I need something up to par for travel. I cant deal with not having my programs and files on the road.

I built this -

System components
Intel Core 2 Duo processor T9400 (2.53GHz 1066MHz 6MBL2)
Genuine Windows Vista Business
Microsoft Windows XP Professional US English RDVD
15.4" WUXGA TFT
ATI Mobility FireGL V5700 (512MB VRAM) with Intel AMT
4 GB PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM 1067MHz SODIMM Memory (2 DIMM)
UltraNav (TrackPoint and TouchPad) with Fingerprint Reader
1.3 Megapixel Integrated Camera
250 GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm with Disk Encryption
DVD Recordable 8x Max Dual Layer, Ultrabay Slim (Serial ATA)
Express Card Slot & Smart Card Reader
Integrated Bluetooth PAN
Intel WiFi Link 5300 (AGN) with My WiFi Technology
Integrated AT&T Mobile Broadband Card (3G)
9 cell Li-Ion Battery
Country Pack North America with Line cord & 90W AC adapter

Elite ThinkPad W500 with discrete graphics
Sale price: $1,914.00 *
Total savings: $559.00 *
After rebate: *

Its not as light as I would like but I could deal. What do you guys think? The ASUS above is still an option as I have about a month and a half until I order. I will be going to EWU for a Business information systems/Partial Computer Science Degree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom