MSN Messenger 6.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

hygor

Daemon Poster
I have recently had a string of phone calls from my aunt as her MSN Messenger has stopped working... the problem really baffles me as she is still able to surf the net using IE, she can use Windows Messenger 4.2, she can use outlook express to send and recieve email...

The computer is hooked up to 512 ADSL and running XP Home, My Uncle upgraded to SP2 about a week before this error started occuring, but they were able to (and did) use MSN Messenger between the upgrade and the error starting.

The error says that they are not connected to the internet and to please check their connection... then it offers troubleshooting, none of which works.

I have got them to do the following:

- Check to see if messenger is allowed in the windows firewall (it is)

- Turn off the firewall (still no good)

- Uninstall and reinstall msn messenger (same problem on new install)

- Deletion of MSN Messenger dir through this method:

1) Click Start > Run
2) Type: %appdata%\Microsoft and press enter.
3) Right-click the MSN Messenger folder and delete it.

(no difference)

I have got them to try mixtures of the above as well... and still nothing.

It baffles me as everything else works on the internet and I have run out of ideas...

If anyone has any ideas I would be most grateful coz my aunt is getting a little annoyed at it all as she relys on messenger for video conferencing and chatting to people abroad... and of course windows messenger doesnt do that!

Thanks

P.S. SP2 is the only change to their system and that was a week prior to this happening... plus I am using SP2 and MSN Messenger with no problems on my machine!

Have you tried contacting/surfing MSN's messenger site? They're probably the best people to deal with.

Could also be a port issue.

Yeah my aunt contacted them and they gave her the same suggestions that I did... so am hoping someone else has overcome this problem and can share the info!!

cheers for the advice though!

Look at the problem, dude. They contacted her with generic solutions, and they didn't work. They make the product, they should support it. Call them back, tell them the suggestions didn't work, and see what they say. I guarantee they aren't going to just tell you to falk-off.

An' if they do, then don't use that crappy MSN messenger anyway!

I do agree with Shoobie that you should be bugging the MSN people for answers, but in the meantime...

Have you tried deleting your internet connection and recreating it?

I assume you've checked the connection settings in MSN...

Is it possible that there is an app on the computer that caused the problem maybe the first time it was run after SP2 was installed? Can your aunt remember what she did on the computer between it working and not working? Of course, even if you did figure out what caused the problem, there's no guarantee that uninstalling it would fix anything....

Good Luck.

My aunt is a complete amature when it comes to using computers... all she knows is that she was doing a video conference through messenger, she shut it down and then it never worked again.

I have told her to speak to M$N again... They dont have an internet connection as such on the machine, they connect to a router which has all the settings pre-configured on it, so they get a network connection rather than an internet one... their internet options are all set to connect over a LAN

Cheers for the advice guys... but I am welll and truely stumped

If your Aunt isn't savy enough to do it herself, sounds like you should do it for her. Be the hero. Make the call. What do you want us to tell you?

no point in me making the call, she lives 3 hours from here and I aint driving all that way to fix messenger... and if i call from here and the guy goes try this... what happened... then what can I do with my working messenger... I will just tell her to ring them again...

all I was hoping is that someone else might have had and solved this problem and they could share the solution... but it doesnt look like anyone has!

ShoobieRat said:
Well then switch to another IM.

ICQ for instance...

she can't.... all of her contacts use msn... oh well its not my problem, i have tried to help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom