Dead Motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Traicer

Baseband Member
so yestarday i was messing around with my RAM timings in the bios to get some more performance out of my system. so i lowered all the timings down by one and i save and start windows. this is when everything starts going wrong. when the windows xp loading screen was on the computer restared, so i went into the bios to change my settings back to how i had them, but when i was doing this the bios frozee, i wasn't able to move or get out of them so i hard booted my pc, then i turned it on again and i got no signal on my monitor, my cpu fan and graphic card fan where on. everything seem to be working but no signal on monitor so i tryed clearing the CMOS by moving the jumpers and removing my battery, but that didn't help, i had simila the same problem fix like this before. anyone know what might be wrong.. System specs.

A7n8x-e Deluxe
Athlon xp 3200
512 Corsair Value Ram
Geforce 6800GT
160 GB Samsung HD

any comments would really help. right now im thinking on just buying new MB and RAM to solve this maybe theres other solution that can save me some cash

Thx

I think it probably is the memory, but guess you could always try bare bones and reseats. Reseat the memory, vid card, remove all but the HDD, vid, memory and CPU (even the keyboard and mouse need remove) maybe that will get us at least a screen. I doubt this will work, but its that or buying some new stuff.

sometime moving the jumper on your system to reset the bios does not work. You can try this if you like, always works for me.

Unplug your PSU from the MTB, find the battery on the MTB and remove it. Short across the two leds of the battery socket for about 5 seconds. this will ensure that any charges still in the system will discharge. put the battery back in, reconnect your PSU.

As killians45 suggested reseating memory is also a good start. If you have no luck you might try removing the memory or any VGa card and see if you get any beeps. If you do then you know your MTB/CPU/PSU is ok, so look elsewhere. If you get no beeps, try another CPU. If that doesn't work then you probably need a new MTB.

hope that helps some! :)

i tryed removing everything putting the pc apart and nothing has changed i also tryed some pc2100 Ram from old pc to check if it was ram but no change, and blueman i did the unpluging thing and left it off all night.

Traicer said:
i tryed removing everything putting the pc apart and nothing has changed i also tryed some pc2100 Ram from old pc to check if it was ram but no change, and blueman i did the unpluging thing and left it off all night.

did you pull the battery out when you unplugged it? if not then it still had voltage to the bios chip. You may need to remove all possible voltage sources to reset the bios.

yea i had it like that all night with the jumper on reset, the funny thing is that the bios frozee or stoped responding. makes me thing is the bios, i called asus but they have crappy tech support. i have only had the MB for like 3 months so i should be under the warranty

i called asus but they have crappy tech support
Yeah I've been saying this for quite some time now...you don't get support from them, they suck like that. Don't suppose you have a spare CPU you could try out do you, maybe that got fried somehow.....it's a common case of a computer having power to it with all fans spinning and whatnot, but getting nothing else, no post, no beeps, no nothing, so hell maybe changing the RAM timings screwed over your CPU....If you've tried different RAM in there than the ones you've already had in there previously then that's about all I can suggest is possible trying another CPU...I don't know exactly HOW it would get messed up because of RAM Timings change in the BIOS, but ya never know....computers are weird like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom