Gaming Computer Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guttzu

In Runtime
I posted a little while back with plans to build a computer come June/July because of possible price drops etc... I was given info on what to buy from everyone here on the forums and it looked great.... Now on to the problem...

The computer is going to be a gift so I am not the one supplying the funds... I repeat... It is not my money... So the big objection my Mom and Grandpa have is the fact that I have never built a computer before as well as it isn't being assembled by a pro tech. They are also concerned about warranties and such because buying from Cyberpower or Ibuypower means a warranty through them and tech service which is appealing to both my Mom and Grandpa. So their big things are 1. I've never built one 2. Warranty from a computer building company 3. Assembly by a certified tech.

I don't really know how to argue against this other than the price difference will be a good amount if I build it myself. I think for a good i7 build on Cyberpower it was around $2,400ish shipped with GTX 285 and one 300gig WD Raptor drive etc... No monitor!

If anyone has any suggestions on how to persuade them I would love to hear it..... What type of warranties are offered from Newegg/Manufacturers on parts etc...? Also if it comes down to it next month I might just talk them into me building the tower and buying the Samsung LCD monitor myself (guilt trip yay)... Any help would be great.... thanks guys :)

You would receive the warranty that the manufacturer of the parts give.
As a general rule it is around 3 years but this can vary. It will almost always be as long if not longer than any warranty given by a reseller.
For example XFX gives a double lifetime warranty on its GPU's meaning your lifetime and a second lifetime warranty if you sell it.
The one drawback is you have to deal with the company yourself and diagnose the problem.

Building is educational and you will learn a lifetime skill. (see if that one works on them) (not to mention easy but you can leave that out if you want.)
Not to mention we will be here to help you along the way.

Start looking at tutorials and you tube videos online and show them that you are doing the necessary research to build your own machine.

Ultimately it is their money. At least they are letting you look at Cyberpower and Ibuypower versus taking you to bestbuy or making you get a Dell.

Yeah I would never buy a Dell/Alienware... some of my friends have talked about those 2 sites but it seems that building one is way cheaper!!! I could try to talk them into it but I'm going to let things settle for a month or 2... In the mean time I will stay on the forums to see what new comes out... who knows buy that time I might have enough to pay for half of it and that would make them happy... I think they were looking anywhere from $2,000 to $2,500 because my Ripoff Alienware was $2,400....(such a stupid mistake)... I guess that here in a month or two I will come back on and ask opinions on what the current build I should go with...(i7 hands down)...

Well I had the same issue with my first build. I took a lot of me showing them that i was doing the proper research and such. Also, try to find a video tutorial (i will look for you too) because watching those could show them how basic it really is. It is a lot like making legos. You just plug things in logically and by what the manuals say of course. There is this one video tutorial someone posted on here not too long ago that showed every step with a video and a description. I'll try to find that one for you.

Here it is:

http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/great-beginner-build-guide-206279/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom