Windows won't boot on my old PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also as the info carnage posted states double check your hard drive connections to make sure they have not come loose.

It checks your hard disk, yes. It attempts to find bad sectors and mark them off. You should not have any data loss (I haven't, and I've used it tons and tons of times). But make sure when you do it, you have the /r switch on there.

Thanks !

I will look if I have the XP install disc. I got this PC about 8 years ago and XP was already on it, not sure if I got an install disc.
I guess the install disc of my other PC (winxp pro, my old pc is xo home) would not work, would it?

If its a normal install disc, then yes it should work for a chkdsk, but DO NOT use it to perform a repair install like Hef suggested.

You can use it to perform the chkdsk but NOT for a repair install. You have to have a home disk to do a repair install on xp home.

post #8 has the info you need to run the chkdsk /r

You can use it to perform the chkdsk but NOT for a repair install. You have to have a home disk to do a repair install on xp home.

post #8 has the info you need to run the chkdsk /r

Thanks!

Oh, ok, just saw that carnageX added that info.

Ok, sorry if this is a stupid question:

I found my old XP recovery disc, but how do I boor from it?
Do I have to set that in BIOS to boot from CD?

OK, I just entered chkdsk /r
and the check is running.

At this point, it's most likely a damaged HDD or could this still be a virus or something else?

And what do I do after this test is done? Do I need to get a new HDD ?

The BSOD you got indicates it could be a bad sector on the HDD. You can always check the health of the drive with a drive health analyzer. SeaGate makes one, WD makes one as well (both are bootable or can be run from within Windows).

After the check is done, just reboot and try to boot normally into Windows. Hopefully it will boot right up and work fine.

The BSOD you got indicates it could be a bad sector on the HDD. You can always check the health of the drive with a drive health analyzer. SeaGate makes one, WD makes one as well (both are bootable or can be run from within Windows).

After the check is done, just reboot and try to boot normally into Windows. Hopefully it will boot right up and work fine.

Thanks !

So, in that case, would I just leave things like they are or should I get a new HDD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom