9800GT for cheap, or GTX 260?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yah, but by next year when I'm putting together the new computer, either the price for them will have dropped or a new generation will probably be out. Might as well wait and put my money towards a very good upgrade.

Arg, I just love being indecisive. Or do I....huh. Was kinda in a rush before i realized that PST is 3 hours behind EST and not the other way around. Whoops!

Kinda hit me that even if I do upgrade to a 260 or something later on, I can still use the 9800GT in my server for folding. Or maybe a physics coprocessor? I dunno, but I can find a use for it.

Would a PSU like this be powerful enough? Can't spend too much on another one.
Graphics card is this MSI 9800GT.

It's $60 after a discount and mail-in rebate starting 6PM EST tonight for email subscribers, if I read it right.

The PSU I have is here. Antec Basiq 350W.

According to the specs on the site:
+3.3V@20A
+5V@20A
+12V1@10A
+12V2@13A
-12V@0.3A
+5VSB@2.5A

I'm away from my desktop right now, so I can't check what the actual PSU says - but this should be close enough. And anyways, it doesn't have the 6-pin PCIE connector; I'd almost rather spend $50 on a PSU I know will work fine than $10 on an adapter that may work but otherwise will still cost $50.

I was in a similar conundrum way back when I had my X2-4400 system, and I finally replaced my 7900GS with my current 8800GTS G92. Yes, I was getting bottlenecked by the CPU, but at least I did not have to get another card when I changed to the Q6600. I'd say go with that 260, like that you will have a very usable card when you upgrade to whatever other mobo/cpu in the future.

Just for the record since we are also talking about PSUs, I used a Seasonic S12 550w to power that system with the G92, but that is one of the most expensive 500w-ish PSUs out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom