Back-to-school rig

Status
Not open for further replies.

wootwoot

In Runtime
I'd like to start compiling a list of parts that I could use to build a decent PC for schoolwork. I'll be going to university in a year but I could really use a new comp now.
It'll be used mostly for essay writing and music/video handling, but I'll also be taking a few computer science courses. Oh, and I like Cabal, Silkroad, Gunz, and CS 1.6 =D.

Required:
Monitor no larger than 19" because it has to go into this little hovel thing on my desk
OS, preferably XP
an decent GPU (9400GT-ish, or maybe GTX 280 =D lol jk)

My budget's about $900 (BTW, I live in Canada, and there's an NCIX store like across from my house).

Any suggestions would be great.

Literally any PC can be used for schoolwork. I wrote essays, printed them, formatted them, and managed light music/video playing for the first two years of college on a Pentium 2 350mhz w/128 mbs of ram.

:p

Pretty much any modern PC is going to perfectly suffice as a schoolwork PC.

Yeah, like he said. If you want a rig to play the games, for 900, you should probably be able to get a decent one. If you're needing a monitor and OS, you probably aren't going to be able to get a gtx 280 though.

There's another thread, the one about prebuilts, in which the Q8200 is trashed over and over. Don't know much about it, but I get the feeling its a bad idea.

Really? Maybe it is, although I remember someone on another site defending it. Others were claiming it doesn't OC well, but he disagreed.
This was the only negative comment he had for it.

"The biggest reason you would stay away from a Q8000 series quadcore is the lack of Intel VT, which is important if you are running Xen, VMware, or any other virtualization system."

I/he could be wrong though. An E8400 would be a great choice if this is true.

The Q8xxx was a failure in most aspects because it was supposed to replace the Q6*** series and failed. It has a crippled cache and a low multi.

If you're going quad, you need to go either Q9400 or i7 on the intel side.

The E8400 would be fine for a gaming rig.

^^ It's all good. I've only seen on decent Q8200, and that was ComatoseClown's. It overclocked decently high for one from that series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom