reinstalling Vista, how do i save the parition of the HDD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wildside

Hellfire!
im helping my gf's PC by reinstalling the HDD. Problem is, it is paritioned 9.69GB n i dont want to lose that when i format. How do i save it? What must i do or use?

EDIT:

i want format the main parition, btw.

Just choose to install to the primary partition during Vista's setup. It will only write to that partition, and not the whole drive.

Just choose to install to the primary partition during Vista's setup. It will only write to that partition, and not the whole drive.

will i be able to select that parition to format? Last time i formated my HDD when reinstalling Windows Vista Ultimate, i lose 3GB because i tried using bitecryption protection but i didnt have this one chip required. I cant get it back.

Yes you'll be able to choose which partition to format. Look up a guide on google if you want to see screenshots / aren't sure.

Ok, im reinstalling Vista in the main parition now. Now i got another problem. I tried putting my 2 x 1GB DDR2 800 2.2v Crucial Ballistix RAM in this PC but it screwed things up. Turns out the chipset doesnt support 800MHz speed, only 667/533MHz. However, BIOS did show that my Crucial RAM was being read, the PC just wouldnt boot to login screen. I put back in the old ones (2 x 512MB DDR2 533 Samsung) and the error "hardware or software has been changed" Windows error keeps on showing up. How do i fix it? Do i need to unplug the PC or something?

^^ fixed! The PC is fixed now! I'm using my gf's family PC to report back that it's fixed. I wont have a computer for a couple of weeks. I took apart n clean my whole computer. I just need to wait until tomorrow to send in my mobo to get it exchange hopefully for a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom