Upgrading my CPU to an e8400?

Status
Not open for further replies.
TigerDirect is both...Wow :l

Why is it so hard to get a legitimate answer on these forums now...Stop telling me about NewEgg and stuff its the same people over and over again and I already said millions of times I cant buy online

You can't expect everyone on the forums to remember everything you said, especially if it was over a month ago. We answer threads like this every day.

No need to get snippy with other members. This is just a warning, alright?

Now, back to the question at hand, Vern is right. You can't be sure your Dell will support that processor. From what I've seen from googling around, it SHOULD work. But that's not a guarantee.

Also, have you already upgraded your PSU? If not, the stock 300w is probably not a good idea to keep.

You can't expect everyone on the forums to remember everything you said, especially if it was over a month ago. We answer threads like this every day.

Now, back to the question at hand, Vern is right. You can't be sure your Dell will support that processor. From what I've seen from googling around, it SHOULD work. But that's not a guarantee.

Also, have you already upgraded your PSU? If not, the stock 300w is probably not a good idea to keep.

Ya, its best to not risk it unless he knows for sure. In which case he might want to look at the older Conroes then e6320, e6420, e6550 e6600, e6700, e6750, e6800, x6800, e6850 etc

Fry's and Microcenter's aren't available in Canada?!

In regards to your post Tigerdirect is a good place to shop online or at the store.

If you want to know what size motherboard will fit your Dell case, then measure the one that's in the Dell case and get something with similar dimensions. I'm guessing that Dell motherboards are for the most part the same size. If you want I can measure a Dell mobo I have in my Dell case. I use it has a shelf for my home router setup. I never got around to e-recycling it.

TD isn't that good online TBH... Newegg, NCIX, MicroCenter, Fry's, are all much better e-tailers.

Indeed but It becomes a different story, when I even noted that I cant buy online WITHIN the original post

In capital letters btw

Not everyone knows that Tiger Direct isn't just online. ;) Since almost no one here shops there.

So like I said. Chill out.

And you never answered my question about the PSU.

another thing to worry about with the Dell Is the wiring setup on it, Don't some dells have a different wiring setup and some don't, If his is the dell only PS and he gets a new MB he will be needing a PS anyway. Before I knew about the PS issue I had one that needed a PS and got lucky it used the normal one, but I have no idea what ones have the dell PS and what ones have the normal ones. Gotta love them Dells. :confused:

Dauntae

A new motherboard in a Dell will require a new PSU too. I've seen new non-dell motherboards get melted by the proprietary PSUs in them.

At that point, he might as well buy a new case and such.

The Original PSU was only 300w which obviously wasn't good enough for a 9800gt so u upgraded toa 650w (I cant really give you the name of it right now)

My hands were shaking when I was pulling the old one out cause it was stuck in the case

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom