Wireless Profiles (for DHCP) possible? Need to force an IP address on DHCP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nathaliev

Beta member
Hi guys

Here's what I'm trying to do...

My wireless network uses DHCP.

I have a laptop. When I'm home, I want it to connect on a specific IP address (because I have port forwarding setup to a specific IP)

But when I'm out of the house, I want it to be able to easily connect to other wireless networks.

If I hard code my home network IP, gateway, etc. in TCP/IP of my wireless connection, then I'll have to always disable it and put the settings back to "Obtain an IP address automatically" when I'm out to get it to connect to other wireless networks.

Is there a way, through Windows or a freeware program - that I can force it on a specific IP when I'm home, but still have it automatic when I'm out?

I'm running WindowsXP Pro on the laptop, with a Netgear Pro Safe Firewall FVS318v3 router where I connect a Linksys WAP54G wireless router to.

Thanks

Not positive with your model of router but with mine I can set it so a specific mac address always gets the same ip. Therefore I can have my laptop set to automatically obtain an ip and the router will always assign the same one to it.

Your router has all the bells and whistles so look around in the setup pages.

On mine it is in the dhcp setup page.
The service is called "add static dhcp client"

My vote is to associate the mac address of your laptop's wireless card to specifically work with a set IP address, that way even the laptop being DHCP should cause it to ultimately become "static" via router settings.

Thanks!

My Netgear router settings had a section called "Reserved IP Table" so I added it there.

Also before seeing your post, I tried the first suggestion and that worked too (I had to put the static IP as the primary settings, and leave the Alternate settings as "automatic". That's what I was doing wrong before I had it the other way around)

Thanks for the helpful replies. I'm all set now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom