Network Driver? Wireless Router?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MollieMoLeo

Beta member
I noticed my laptop wasn't connecting to the internet yesterday. After following the usual restarts on the modem and the router - and realizing it wasn't working on my wired desktop, either - I called my ISP. They were able to resend the signal so that I could at least hook my desktop directly to the modem to connect.

HOWEVER - when I try to connect the wired desktop through the router? Nothing. I'm able to access the router's (Linksys WRT54G) admin page - from which I cannot release or renew the IP address - it just reads as 0.0.0.0. I am able to release and renew the IP address on the desktop, which is running XP.

The plot thickens when I'm unable to get a wired connection through my laptop (HP dv6000 running Vista). I've tried the ipconfig release and renew - it does nothing. It simply will not release the corrupt IP address in there.

I have also tried to uninstall the network driver to no avail. It will let me choose to delete it from the device manager over and over again without ever actually doing so. I tried a system restore...nothing.

At this point, I'm wondering if my wireless router and the network driver on my laptop are both shot. I cannot access the internet AT ALL from my laptop at home. I am doing to try accessing the wireless connection tomorrow from another location, but will need a workaround that doesn't involve downloading any updates or drivers as...well...I can't!

HELP!!!! I'm desperate and clueless!

Have you tried hard resetting it? Press and hold the reset button for 10 seconds. Then let it power up normally and try again.

It sounds to me as if your router has stopped working.
since you can connect directly to the modem you know that your internet connection is fine.

I would try a hard reset of your modem and reset it up.
If this does not work it sounds as though it is time for a new router.

If you had another router available to test that would be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom