Upgrading my CPU to an e8400?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TekBubs

In Runtime
I'm getting a really bad bottleneck effect with my e2200 and my XFX 9800gt, in games like Tf2 it dips to 15 sometimes.

Someone recommended that e8400, but I was stupid enough to buy a dell (Inspiron 518) and in the past, I made a topic stating that I was getting bottlenecked, and someone replied by saying that in order to switch the CPU, I would need a new mother board, and because its a dell case, it wouldnt fit...Is this true? If it is then I'm just gonna give up, because I CANNOT SHOP ONLINE, and I CANNOT OVERCLOCK MY CPU BECAUSE THIS IS A DELL PC

So I'm stuck, any ideas?

A new motherboard should fit fine if you get the correct size of motherboard - if you have an mATX case, get an mATX motherboard - ATX case, ATX motherboard. Unless Dell has decided to create some strange standard of their own.

And it is entirely possible you would have to replace the motherboard to upgrade, as many of the older S775 motherboards do not support the 45nm 775 processors such as the E8400.

If you do upgrade, an E8400 would be perfect.

Why can't you shop online? I got the build in my sig before I was 16, by getting my parents to order, if age is a problem.

Alright, thanks man

I mainly use Tiger Direct (The canadian one) tigerdirect.ca

Can you help me pick out a cheap one that you think would fit the inspiron 518 case? I would greatly appreciate it :D

Instead of TigerDirect, try using Newegg.ca or NCIX (both Canadian). If TD or NE has it cheaper than NCIX, then you can pricematch with NCIX for the lower price.

Carnage ive said it in a lot of posts including this one, I cant buy online, TD is my only option

thanks for the suggestions though

TigerDirect is both...Wow :l

Why is it so hard to get a legitimate answer on these forums now...Stop telling me about NewEgg and stuff its the same people over and over again and I already said millions of times I cant buy online

Ya, an e8400 would be a decent way of removing that huge bottleneck you have, but we can't say for sure if Dell's BIOS even supports an e8400. Go update that to the latest version, and see any feedback about it supporting 45nm..

I wouldn't advise buying from TD, but considering your case, you maybe forced to. But if you know your local area, check out a Microcenter or Fry's Electronics, both are Geek heaven's retail stores, and you may have one (or both) around you...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom