Gaming Rig...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok well lets say that I want to build my own computer from scratch then, I will most likely use Newegg after reading the other posts on this site, my budget will be around 600-700 and I will be using it for gaming but nothing hardcore. Is there anything you would recommend for a first time builder? Any tips/hints that would help me in building said system?

I can go above that budget no problem but I'm trying to keep it in that price range as this will be my first build.

i would say, choose a good gpu first, and build your system around that. if you want it to last then dont crap out on your hardware selection but also don't choose the most expensive items.

since your a first time builder like me:) then check your hardware list to make sure everything is compatible. and after that, check it once more so that just in case something doesnt work, you know its because its faulty or something instead of becase you chose an incorrect part. good luck:)

Ok so here is just a rough idea of what I would put into it...

I am completely new at this so if some of the items won't work with each other could you possibly recommend an alternate instead?

Mobo: Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

CPU: Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma 2.7GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache 2MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 95W Dual-Core black edition Processor - Processors - Desktops

HDD: Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

RAM:Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Video Card: Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100259-1GL Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Power Supply: Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

CD Drive: Newegg.com - LG Black 22X (CAV) DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X (CAV) DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD±R DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners

Case: Newegg.com - Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

I know I probably forgot something or have incompatible parts but like I said I'm extremely new to this so any help would be appreciated. This would be used for playing WoW and some light web surfing, nothing major by any means. If there is a way to cut down the cost of the overall setup and still have it run WoW smooth that would be great. :)

You forgot to add in the OS. Unless you have one that you can use already. What's the total price of those components? Looks like a pretty good computer, especially for what you need it to do.

eh, i could be wrong, but i dont think that cpu is compatible with that mobo. that cpu says athlon 64 x2 and that mobo says "Phenom II X3 / Phenom II X4 / Phenom FX / Phenom X4 / Phenom X3 / Athlon X2 / Athlon / Sempron X2 / Sempron" i could be wrong..

besides that, everything looks like it should work. and you did forget an os unless you already have a 64-bit os ready. cheers

eh, i could be wrong, but i dont think that cpu is compatible with that mobo. that cpu says athlon 64 x2 and that mobo says "Phenom II X3 / Phenom II X4 / Phenom FX / Phenom X4 / Phenom X3 / Athlon X2 / Athlon / Sempron X2 / Sempron" i could be wrong..

besides that, everything looks like it should work. and you did forget an os unless you already have a 64-bit os ready. cheers

Mobo should work with that cpu.

So if I get the combo would everything else work out with it? and I don't have an OS but I am a fan of Vista, I've never had any problems with it so I was thinking 64 bit would work.

Yea, everything else would work with that combo. What 64 bit version of Vista are you looking at? After you pick that you should be set.

Ok it looks like my total with MIRs is $707.48 with the combo deal that Hikari mentioned. Is there anything you would switch out with what is currently there so that it would cut back on cost slightly? If not that is fine, and I was wondering if this would be a decent first build setup to start out with?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom