what ram to choose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muffin Man

muffin enthusiast
hi all, i am going to build my first rig soon, and using newegg's wishlist feature i have thoroughly revised my list multiple times to make sure everything is compatible and im 98.43 and a half % sure everything will work the first time.

but one thing that i am still unsure of is what ram to get as far as voltages and cas latency goes. i've checked the manufacturers site of the mobo im planning to buy but nowhere does it mention anything about recommended voltages for the ram modules. will incorrect voltages cause a malfunction? and also, idk wether to choose ram with higher or lower latency. i know what cas latency is, but i am considering two sets of ram.

this set has a latency of 7

Newegg.com - OCZ Fatal1ty Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

this set has a latency of 5

Newegg.com - OCZ 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

their prices are basicly the same (2$ diff) i just dont know which to choose or if it even matters. i dont plan to oc either.

also. is g skill any good?

Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

i did actually take a look at that set, but i turned it down because im on a tight budget. tight as in the baby gap shirts that simon cowell wears tight. 50$ for ram is my max, but if it is the best then i suppose i could try to sqeeze 15$ more for it.

Not really. Most motherboards support almost all the RAM out right now, depending on speeds of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom